Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my Accent hatch for a week, and I don't believe in granny driving for break-in, but I have stayed under 5000 rpms until today. It wasn't worth a YouTube video, trust me, but it felt good anyway. I was at a light, at the bottom of a freeway off-ramp. The street I was waiting to enter is a thoroughfare, posted at 50 mph. I noticed a Fit in my mirror appear from nowhere. The light changed, and he tail-gated me pretty hard for about five seconds then whipped around me on to take the right lane. He didn't get far, cuz the very next light stopped him. I pulled up, and could feel him looking at me, but I didn't respond. The light changed. I didn't hammer the pedal at all, I just accelerated quickly to 6000 rpms and shifted to 2nd. He fell a half car-length behind at this point. By the time I was at the top of second he was much further back, and clearly gave up. I shifted to third and cruised as he took the first right turn. Honestly, I am guessing this car was an auto, because even though we just went to 60, it should have been very close. Either that, or the guy doesn't know how to drive, and shifted out of first way too soon. My engine seemed to enjoy the treatment, and purred like a kitten toward home. I am still learning how to maximize the B&M short-shifter, which really does make for snappy up-shifting. The AEM SRI is in my garage, but I am still not sure if I want to install it. I don't want a loud car again, and I'm not sure if I see any gains anyway. Cant find much feedback on it.....for the newer Accents anyways.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I have the AEM installed, but the battery wasn't disconnected during installation, so the car is probably still learning the mod. So far, not much to report, except a cool sound. I noticed that the intake came with a CARB number on it....which I wasn't expecting, but was glad to see. Now I can pass any visual smog inspections. Hopefully the car's performance will increase a bit in the next week or so. Next up....Borla turbo muffler.

·
Registered
502 Posts
those new accent take the SRI well?
I have a 01 accent and was wondering if you can feel a power difference from your vvt engine.
when i put in a SRI I only heard a different noise when I gunned it.

I use to think only the brand new off the lot Hyundai's usually smelled like burning plastic when driven hard.
latter on I figured all new car smell that way under the hood when driven hard, but I'm sure the factory putts certain chemicals and oils into all that are needed to keep the car safe/reliable enough.

those new accents are fun and easy to drift.
:D

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
having a intake is like a relationship with a girl, it's on and off..mostly

i have countlessly switched between stock airbox and cai,

sometimes i miss the monster roar of the intake at 6000rpm,
other times i like the silent noise of my stock air box and the raspiness of my 4-2-1 header,

i wish quad throttle bodies were made for the beta.

i best modified MC i've seen is MSVG's MC,his MC and it's Mods are F###ing off the Hook!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's been a few weeks, and the intake seems to be earning it's money. There does seem to be better throttle response and a bump in torque. But the engine needed to loosen up a bit in the first place, and I needed to learn how to make the most of the short-gearing and the B&M shifter. Mission accomplished. My Accent beat a 1.8 Nissan Sentra, at a country stop light. I believe it was an auto, cuz I caught and passed him around 50 mph and increased my lead up to 70 mph. I don't know how fast a 1.8 Sentra is with a manual, but I doubt I would have been able to walk on him. Because of the short-shifter, the pedal work with this Accent is REALLY important though. With my Aerio I always lift off the clutch first, during shifting, then quickly hit the accelerator. My Accent doesn't like that, and jerks and jounces if I shift like that. I don't power-shift......hold down the accelerator while shifting, but I do hit the accelerator a split second before releasing the clutch pedal. I almost dump the clutch, quickly releasing just behind the accelerator. Shifting like that makes for very smooth transitions and much snappier acceleration. The rpms don't fall much. Now, I can shift at 5600 rpms, and land on 4100 rpms....which is just below torque peak. It wouldn't work on my Aerio, because the gearing is taller, and the shifter throws much longer. N'ways, I will give a review of the Borla turbo muffler in a few weeks when it arrives.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't know what it is with those Japanese 1.8's that cant keep up with a korean 1.6
I hear the accent takes stock 1.8 integras too.

But I kinda miss drifting those MR accents my 01 accent dosnt drift as easy even with stiffer springs and strut bars its all fun tho.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmmm. Maybe you're right Metalshark. Maybe that Sentra just got beat....or quit once I got ahead. He was goading me, trying to draw me into a contest, so he deserved the spanking. I remember my '01 Elantra 5-speed very well. It used to get mid 16's at the track, and I swear, my Accent "seems" nearly as fast. I have a hard time believing this car gets 17.2 stock, even though the car mags say so. I think it would stay right with my Aerio.... until third gear, which is huge in the Aerio. After that the Aerio would open up some distance.
But the Aerio isn't that snappy off the line, cuz of the talling gearing, so the race would be close at first I believe...up to 50 anyway. Shifting at red-line, which most car mag reviewers do, probably wouldn't yield the best times for an Accent. That's my opinion so far, after experimenting the last week or two.
The rpms shoot up pretty quickly, till maybe 5600-5800, then seem to crawl up after that. Getting from 5800 to 6500 (red-line) is time-consuming, the clock keeps ticking away while trying to reach 6500, which is why I shift out earlier now. The typical strategy is to shift near red-line, and land in high area of the rpm range. Usually that works, and it did in my Elantra. But my Accent take FOREVER to go from 0-60 mph shifting near red-line. It gets there quicker when I shift at 5600-5800 rpms, landing around 4200 rpms. That may be why the 1/4 mile times in car mags are a little slower than I think they should be.....for the manual anyway. 16.9-17.0 is what I would guess for the stock 2006+ Accent....with a B&M short-shifter anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed CAI on my 2007 Hyundai accent MC. The roar of the exhaust is about the only positive thing. that jurk you're talking about is because the torque is actually less than usual and only when the cttv kicks in does the power get back again. with the normal filter and box the car pulls smooth. This all I saw on the dyno. with cai I got 6km to the litre in traffic with heavy acceleration. yes CAI does give you more power... IF AND ONLY IF you run a piggyback system

1 - 8 of 8 Posts