Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear roumers of there being problems with 1.6l engines piston rings.
is this true?
dose it apply to all1.6l's or just "lemons"
is there any way to corect it? (short of forged pistons or not running boost)

thanks guys/girls:)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
No such problems with standard piston rings running in a standard/slightly modified motor. Only probs ive heard of are when boost is added without proper engine management :hmmm:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you are saying such roumers would have been started because people were expiriencing detonation and that damaged the rings?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I beleive so as i know many people who own Accents and no one has complained about having dodgy piston rings or associated problems.
Only detonation and oil starvation usually cause these problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ofcourse detonation will wreck it, no engine on the planet will surivive sustained loaded detonation.

If your in doubt do a leakdown test.

I have an Autronic SM2 and R500 cdi box for my engine management, works well.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Originally posted by Bathrone
[body]
Ofcourse detonation will wreck it, no engine on the planet will surivive sustained loaded detonation.
[/body]
Except maybe a carby 202 LOL

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
this may or may not be related, but I bought an 04 hyundai accent november 12 2003. by january 12 2004, i had to have the engine replaced because there was a oil pump failure and the engine siezed (according to the ticket). they had just replaced the oil and about 1000 miles later oil blew out all over the place as i was driving home. it was not coming from the drain plug or the filter. hmm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts