Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, need urgent help for verification.

After changing new FGR and final drive gears, and cryogenic my gearbox, now my third gear gave up on me again. I need an option to swap in a gearbox for my 06' Beta2 Tiburon. Is the older 97-01 1.8L Beta transmission compatible and direct fit to the Beta2? My Valeo extreme clutches and flywheel is new. Can they still be used if I swap in the 1.8L Beta transmission?

Thanks for any input :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
yes it will fit. all beta trannys are pull style clutchs so it will work the same. only real diffrence for clutch/flywheel is the crank size but your not switching engines so that wont matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ryanolson said:
i don't know but how do you find a place to get the valeo extreme. my local clutch shop says that none of his distributors have heard of it.
I am from Asian side so Kspec manage to deliver the Valeo Extreme clutch kit to me in less than 5 days from order. I am quite impressed with their customer services.

Thanks optimoprime for the comfirmation. I'll hunt for a used 1.8L Beta gearbox and do the swap. If its sucessful, you really save my day! I owe you a treat if you ever come down to Singapore :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
optimoprime said:
yes it will fit. all beta trannys are pull style clutchs so it will work the same. only real diffrence for clutch/flywheel is the crank size but your not switching engines so that wont matter.
Manage to find lots of 1.6L hyundai coupe gearbox. Are those compatible to install on the Beta II 2.0L engine?

·
Registered
77 Posts
i dont think you would see any performance diffrence. the only reason to switch to the 1.8tranny is for the shorter gears. but to answer your question i dont think it fits because the block is diffrent as far as i know.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i don't htink its different. and even if it is the bellhousing shouldn't be different. and even if the bellhousing is different it cant be that much different and maybe just a few bolt holes don't line up. you can bolt a 1.6 ALPHA tranny to a beta and vise versa so why not the 1.6 BETA tranny. especially when it is actually the same family motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hyundai tranny seems to be quite weak and I am upgrading my turbo soon. I'm looking at other stronger alternative japanese car gearbox example FTO or EVO that might be compatible to use the gears and FGR on my Beta2 transmission housing. Anyone have any experience on that?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I guess if your using a newer, 01 and up beta, that you will need a spacer behind the flywheel to use the older 96-99 transmisson. 97redtib needed that when she had her 01 elantra engine swapped into her 97 tib.

BUT!!! I have a 2001 transmisson on a 97 Beta I and it works fine...:confused:

Oh, and the 2001 transmisson is WAAAY better than the 97's. different shift linkcage set up thats 10 times smoother and more accutrate, not to mention the lower first, and higher 5th gear. I now cruise at 2650 rpm at 65 mph, instead of 3190 rpm. and i get 40+ mpg.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using a 06' gearbox and the hyundai gears are too weak to handle 400Nm of torque even after cryogenic and tempering process on the gears assembly. I seriously need stronger japanese gears with my next GT2871R upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts