Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a 14B turbo in the '01 Accent L. For the time being the car still has the 1.5L SOHC. I have all the parts available for the install, I'm just looking at running the Oil Feed line for the turbo. Anyone know the easiest/fastest location for obtain a oil feed? Possibly without tapping?

I have installed several other turbos in Hondas, DSMs, Nissans and Chevy's, but this will be my first attempt with a Hyundai. Please let me know if you have any ideas before I get too deep into it. Haha

Tiburon engine will be using the same 14B setup (for the most part) and I already have a feed line ran while it's on the lift out of the oil sending unit. I just figured I'd see how much the stock block/head 1.5L can handle before it blows. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also need to find out how much boost a 2.0 BetaI can handle reliably with stock internals?

Using the BetaI in the LC, will the axles (1.6L auto driver's, 1.8L auto '97 elantra pass's) be able to handle the added power?

Which manual transmission has the best top end availability?

I plan on staying 6-8 PSI with a cast iron manifold and 2.5" full exhaust. 14B with internal waste gate, FMI with 2.5" piping and 68mm throttle body. I will be running an APEXi A/F as well. The stock ECM will be used with a programmable piggy back as well. 7lb Flywheel and 2600lb street clutch will be grabbing the power.

I will be using the car as a daily driver, which is why I'm looking for reliability.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also need to find out how much boost a 2.0 BetaI can handle reliably with stock internals?
you might be interested in this thread here (very long):

Low Boost On Stock Compression - RDTiburon.com

i've been running a beta 1 engine and gearbox, stock axles, upgraded clutch and phantom grip lsd (standalone, 8.8 pistons, about 11 psi)....about 250 whp.

i drive very mild except a few times at the drag strip. in my case, the weak links in the chain are:

- the throw out bearing in the 'pull clutch' disintegrated, and

- the synchros in second gear are just starting to crunch occasionally.

i would caution about applying 'other car' turbo experience to a hyundai. piggybacks that might work well with a honda civic ECU (fuel and ignition), might not work with a hyundai ECU. you might check out rdtiburon.com about engine mgt....there seems to be a lot of success using a smt-6 piggyback operating a second fuel rail, with just OEM ignition control.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated!

Turns out after my compression test last night, we will not be putting the turbo on the 1.5L first. My number 3 cylinder has FAR too much blow by to do it. The motor would take a crap instantly! :mad:

The 2.0 is on the engine stand now. I'll post some pictures soon. I'm trying the find the OBX turbo manifold that a previous member posted but did not list a location to obtain it. The cast iron one I have now will work, but causes more of an issue with the down pipe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm no longer going to put the turbo on the 1.5L. I figured I would and then just do the swap with the Beta, but it looks like I'm not going to be throwing in the BETA for a couple months and will just build it on the stand. THEN do the swap all in one day. It helps tremendously when your brother is a certified Hyundai Tech! Moving from the 1.5, to the BETA, I've read about all the swaps and what's needed along with what can be used, so that's pretty much good to go.

I was planning on using a APEXi SAFC, but after some MORE reading, it appears that's no good. Has anyone tried using the HKS fuel management systems on a turbo'd BETA? I'll be running a lot of HKS items, so I figured, I might as well keep most of them the same brand, right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts