Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a '94 Scoupe that I'm looking to accquire, but we're trying to work out some kinks first. It's a 5 speed, and this doesn't always occur, but when she goes to start it, it revvs really high, and it's just idling, she hasn't put it in gear. Also, the check engine light stays on, and when she had the codes run, it kicked back MAFS and she replaced it. It kicked back one other part, and she replaced that as well (having major blond moment as to what that was). We're trying to figure out why it's doing this. It did like to stall out/just plain not want to start, but we figured out that the MAFS she fiirst put in was busted and dirty to boot, but was solved when replaced with another one. Funny thing is, that first one kinda helped with the revving. What should we be looking for here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
the funny thing is, I have an excel with ONLY 40,000 miles on it. it is a 1992. Well, the cold starts has been happening as well, where the REVV's are high. SOOOooooOOO what i did so far was CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY out with a rag and some pcv/carb cleaner(i think techs use gum cutter)...then start the car with the air hose OFF the TB and spray INTO the TB while reving by hand,...if it is about to stall, rev higher. Ok, now check the TB adjusting screw...make sure that has not been touched. It should be a screw with a spring around it ON the TB. Clockwise tunes it UP and vice versa. I noticed it helped me a lot. I stll have not fixed the cold start high rev, and sometimes it breaths like a vaccuum leak when i disenage the clutch, but it is very suttle now. No check engine light has come on yet...but it is most likley, if all else fails, the IAC sensor. Idle Air Control. there maybe a clog in that plenum that will not read on the scanner because it has not shorted out.....but if all else fails...have someone run a leak/compression/scanner test at a shop.... good luck

stevie d

1 - 2 of 2 Posts