Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 94 Scoupe (Non-turbo, 5spd) that keeps stalling while idling or driving. The car starts up fine, will idle for awhile and even drive okay for a few minutes, and then it dies. No shuddering, no funny noises, just dead. It'll start back up immediately, drive a few feet and die, or if I'm just idling it'll die.
I've changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, cap and rotor and it still stalls. I also ohmed out the TPS, MAF, Idle Speed Control Actuator, and the Crankshaft Position Sensor all checked good. I tested the fuel pressure regulator, and that checked out. I had the battery/alternator checked out as well. I even disconnected the 02 sensor, because I read that the ECM will run in a loop mode w/o it, and still it stalls. I'm at my wits end, please help.

Note: The vehicle was inspected in Oct and passed emmissions. Also, no check engine light either.

Frustrated,
Chris

·
Registered
687 Posts
Wow...

That cleared up any questions I had to as. Have you checked your plugs and wires? I would've suggested cleaning your MAF or checking the connections to the MAF in general, beacuse that would affect how your engine would run.

HOwie~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't physically check the wires because they looked fairly new. As far as the plugs go, I didn't gap check them yet. However, I wouldn't think that they would contribute to the problem because the car starts and runs just fine (When its running :) I would think that I'd have starting or more of a misfire issue.
I should mention that it appears that the stalling occurs when the car is warmed up, and continues to stall thereafter. When the car is cold, it starts up w/ an erratic rpm then levels out to normal. Does this indicate anything?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ok please dont get mad or think im an idiot I know you checked the battery but did you check the battery terminal connectors (i think thats what they're called) I went thru an issue with my Tiburon last year where one of the connectors broke and it wasn't getting a connection or maybe possibly the alternator fuse...i had that problem as well it didnt get a good connection and it would die sometimes without warning but it would start up no problems on most occassions!?!? I dont know...just a few more suggestions. You seem to know a little bit more than me but I thought I would throw those out there!?!?:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestion is a good one, and always welcome. The terminal connections look okay, a little corroded but nothing broken. I checked voltage running across the connectors and the posts while running. Both showed 13.8V. Now you said there was an alternator fuse? Is it on the alternator or in the fuse panel. Also, which was the fix for you the alternator fuse or the battery terminal?

·
Registered
860 Posts
67Classic said:
Now you said there was an alternator fuse? Is it on the alternator or in the fuse panel. Also, which was the fix for you the alternator fuse or the battery terminal?
Well I have a 97 Tib and the alternator fuse is in the fuse box in the engine bay...im not sure bout the Scoupes without having my Chiltons manual in front of me where yours is located at...mine however was a blue bulkier looking fuse that screws in but sometimes...like in my case the connections between the fuse and the screws came loose! I cant necessarily say it was one or the other cause I actually had both problems happen to me! the first being the battery terminal connector on the positive side broke in half cause it was just a thin piece of metal (grr...frustrating) and than just recently my alternator went out...which doesnt surprise me since it was a factory alternator...i just wish it hadnt happened on a highway at 1 in the morning!! LOL! I will look into the Chiltons manual tonight and see if I can find where your alternator fuse is if you would like!?!?

·
Registered
492 Posts
clean out your throttle body, it might be dirty enough that when the throttle plate is closed(foot off the gas) there isnt enough air getting passed the throttle plate to keep it running. common thing that i see here at work, intake cleaner and a rag usually does the trick. oh it might stall acouple of times after the clean up because the ecu needs to relearn but it should solve the problem.. let me know what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts