Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all first time poster here, long time lurker for some time. Great website this is I've found many useful tips and hints and its great to just browse through the site and read up on things. I am posting my first thread in the hope of some help/hints in regards to my 1997 Sonata 2.0ltr 5speed. The car is my daily drive and I've had it for a couple of months now, it's been great and is also surprisingly good on fuel for its age. Anyway it has done a fair few kilometres in its time but it has been well maintained throughout its life. Ive bumped into a few problems which all seem to be wear and tear but am not sure how to exactly go about things. BTW I have plenty of mechanical experience (little on front wheel drives) and plan to do all the work my self.

First probelm i've had is the clutch (about 1 and a bit years old) - all was well untill I was stuck in traffic for a while on a warmer than usual day. Went to take off and it was slipping a fair amount which is the first time this has happened, also the car was under light/medium throttle load. However after taking the car out after a few hours of it sitting all was well and not a sign of slippage??? I loaded up the clutch bu using WOT in a higher gear while at lower speeds (which is when most slipping occurs) and it was fine. Is this a worn clutch problem or something else? Whats involved in changing clutch in a front wheel driver?

Second problem is right CV joint - it is starting to click around corners and since I will be working on the car soon I figure I might as well get everything sorted. I have replaced CV joints on a magna once, is it just a matter of wheel and brakes off, axle nut off and replace the joint on the drive shafts?

Also one wheel bearing has begun to squeal occasionally, I'm thinking to replace the both of them while work is being done. What is usually involed in this?

Ok last problem seem's to be an electrical earth issue, when i hit the brakes the rear brake lights will light up as well as all dash, instrument and parker lights. When I have my headlights on the brake lights will light up but will not glow brighter once I hit the brakes. Where would the problem be and how would I fix this?

Sorry about the long post but I am having trouble finding info so I figured this site might bring me some answers. Any help will be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Clutch: organic clutches can be deglazed without you realizing you did it. Otherwise we'd all be screwed.

CV joint: not much more expensive, less hassle, to change the entire shaft. It's fairly straightforward if you've the tools.

Wheel bearing: never been there yet, fortunately

Lights: check the light bulbs in your brake/running lights carefully you may have a cross-element short.

hyundaitechinfo.com login kitfoxer password Rg== if you want as good a manual as you can get without paying for it. All the torque specs should be there also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts