Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done an engine swap in a first gen Tib to a larger motor?
for an automatic-
I talked to A guy at the dealership and he says he can get me a new 2005-1998spec reconditioned motor for my 98fx for 3 grand.

I have seen a manual Tib that was v4 auto with a v6manual swap... to be more specific I guess I want to know if I can put a v6auto in my tib and what engine I would want if I could.

[Edited by Lusterburn on Sep 23, 2004 6:15 PM]

[Edited by Lusterburn on Sep 23, 2004 7:02 PM]

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
I'd love to do the 4g63t..it can and has been done on older elantras, but for some reason Im doubting you can do it with our cars..but honestly I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
if you have the money you can do whatever

lots of problems arise though... motor mounts, wiring harness, etc... driveshafts not liniing up properly, etc..

the cost would easily outweigh any potential benefit of going with the larger engine

just build what you have. or grab another short block, stick in some nice forged internals, and boost it.

5speed tranny swap would be nice too..

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Originally posted by Lusterburn
[body]
Anybody done an engine swap in a first gen Tib to a larger motor?
for an automatic-
I talked to A guy at the dealership and he says he can get me a new 2005-1998spec reconditioned motor for my 98fx for 3 grand.

I have seen a manual Tib that was v4 auto with a v6manual swap... to be more specific I guess I want to know if I can put a v6auto in my tib and what engine I would want if I could.
[/body]
Ok young Obi-Wan to clear a few things up for you.
There is no such thing as a v4. The 4 cylinder is an inline motor.
Now, by going from the 1.8ltr to the 2.0ltr for $3k isn't realy worth the 5hp gain. Besides, $3k is way too much for a motoreven if it includes the labor to get it swapped. Motors can be bought as cheap as $150 with low miles. Also, why would a 2005 motor be recoditioned?

Now, you say you have seen a 4cyl to v6 swap in a tib? Great, where? I want to see pics. Although it could be done, I have yet to know anyone that has done it in a tib (seen pics of it in an Elantra though). Regarless, it is a waste of money.

That all being said, if you have $3k to burn, then buy a turbo or supercharger.
Oh yeah, I would get a manual trany too or atleast send off for the level 10 trany upgrades.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Yeah, I know about the funky old days where there were actually v4 engines in the old Lancias and a couple other cars. But for all practical information, not today and not Hyundai.

Some how I had a feeling somebody would remind me if I posted it that way. LOL

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
people beat me to it... gotta start waking up earlier in the morning!

Personally though.. why would you want to? The Beta in the Tib can already be easily worked to provide every bit of HP that the Delta V6 can.. and for about the same amounts of money.
That plus the fact you do not mess the balance up by dropping the bigger and heavier v6 into the nose of your tib...

And just because I can: The Lancia v4... cool little engine, 13 degree speration between the banks.

and yes that engine is tiny.. the beauty of the v4 was it's compactness... after all, it had to fit into an engine bay like this:

The Fulvia is not much bigger than an accent.. might actually be smaller..

Anyway, I have digressed far too long into ancient italian motoring...

If you are taking your cues from the Honda aftermarket in putting bigger engines into small cars.. forget it. While you can find people putting the h22 into a civic.. you do not see people putting the v6 from the accord into a civic. Too much work for too little payback.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
someone neds to do a b18 or b16 swap just so we can say its been done. But that might shame the hyundai name...but still....c'mon, vtec yo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts