Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a some interesting information i picked up along the way; the tib engine is made by mitsubishi.

And for those who feel like bragging, the 2000-2002 tib body was designed in party by the same dude who designs the Lotus body stylings. The tib body style also cost 1.7 million dollars to fabricate :surprised:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your a moderator and you dont know that? .. interesting

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yes I am a moderator and this whole Mitsu/Hyundai relationship has been discussed to death for at least 6 years now.

All engines Hyundai has used since the early 90's with the exception of the old 2.4L engines have been Hyundai engines.

If you have conflicting sourses please feel free to post a link.

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
The first pure Hyundai engine was the 1.5L Alpha that appeared in the S-Coupe.
Shortly after came the 1.8L and 2.0L Beta in the Elantra and Tiburon.
Then the Delta in the Sonata.

Now, Hyundai is using the Theta and Lambda engines, both 100% Hyundai which are being licensed out to Mitsu and DaimlerChrysler.

You sir, are wrong.

·
Banned
5,451 Posts
Originally posted by Carrera
[body]
Just a some interesting information i picked up along the way; the tib engine is made by mitsubishi.[/body]

I think you lost your way then.... :ermm:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Originally posted by 4doorGL
[body]
The first pure Hyundai engine was the 1.5L Alpha that appeared in the S-Coupe.
Shortly after came the 1.8L and 2.0L Beta in the Elantra and Tiburon.
Then the Delta in the Sonata.

Now, Hyundai is using the Theta and Lambda engines, both 100% Hyundai which are being licensed out to Mitsu and DaimlerChrysler.

You sir, are wrong.
[/body]
LOL ;)

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I think this is the fastest pwn4g3 of a n00b1e that I've ever seen. :lol:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Originally posted by MechaniX_034
[body]
I think this is the fastest pwn4g3 of a n00b1e that I've ever seen. :lol:
[/body]
Not my intention. I think he just wanted to fit in here. That is why we have these forums here. To keep the info GOOD info. I hope he doesn't leave for good because of it.:ermm:

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
pwnage to da noob.. where did you come up with this information i would really like to see a link, article, anything.. you're wrong sir..

there is going to be a new 'world' engine which hyundai designed most of it, and then mitsu and crysler modified it a bit..

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Originally posted by 01IMPORTSHARK
[body]
pwnage to da noob.. where did you come up with this information i would really like to see a link, article, anything.. you're wrong sir..

there is going to be a new 'world' engine which hyundai designed most of it, and then mitsu and crysler modified it a bit..
[/body]
Enough saying he's wrong or was owned. I made that clear in my post, we don't need 3 people coming in after making a joke out of it.

I also already mentioned the Theta, which is the world engine you're referring to.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
sry rob, yah i thought that the theta enginer = the world engine but i wasnt sure, theyre coming out with a few versions of it :) 1.8 2.0 2.4 2.4 turbo :) soo nicee..

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Originally posted by Dorning
[body]
yeah a 2.0 hyundia is for the most part a 420a. the main difference is the head.
[/body]
Huh? You have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the 2.0 L in tibs are 4g63's. the same ones that are in Eclipse's and such. ( non turbo of course.) its the same dementions but its just made with diff. parts. silicone impregnated pistons, stuff like that. basically its a Mitsubishi motor (a great one at that) that hyundai put diff parts in. and so far its a damn good motor. 84k miles and going strong. i do have a question though. what is the stock 0-60 time for 01 tibs? i cant find anything that makes any since. i found one saying 8.4. and i know that can not be right. ive only put a header, exedy clutch, cia, and exhaust and i hold my own. u dont find many n/a motors that pull as hard as mine. ive stayed even with gsr from a stop and roll so i know its gada be atleast low 7's. anybody know stock 0-60 times?

·
Registered
5 Posts
a 420a is a non turbo 4g63

i have had both engines apart side by side and plus go to a machine shop and they will tell you that you can interchange most of the parts.

[Edited by Dorning on Jan 9, 2006 6:34 AM]

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
It IS NOT a Mitsu engine. When Hyundai designed the 2.0L Beta engine they looked at the most successful 2.0L engine on the market and tried to mimic it, hence them being similar.

However, they still aren't very similar other than they both have 4 cylinders.

The bore and stroke of each is listed below:
2.0L Beta: 82.0 X 93.5
4G63: 85.0 x 88.0

Hell, look at pictures of the two. The cooling channels are different, the casting is different.

How dense are you? They are not even close to being the same engine.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by mello01tib
[body]
the 2.0 L in tibs are 4g63's. the same ones that are in Eclipse's and such. ( non turbo of course.) its the same dementions but its just made with diff. parts. silicone impregnated pistons, stuff like that. basically its a Mitsubishi motor (a great one at that) that hyundai put diff parts in. and so far its a damn good motor. 84k miles and going strong. i do have a question though. what is the stock 0-60 time for 01 tibs? i cant find anything that makes any since. i found one saying 8.4. and i know that can not be right. ive only put a header, exedy clutch, cia, and exhaust and i hold my own. u dont find many n/a motors that pull as hard as mine. ive stayed even with gsr from a stop and roll so i know its gada be atleast low 7's. anybody know stock 0-60 times?
[/body]
Mello, sorry, but this information is incorrect. The Beta and the 4G63 are not the same engines by any means. Yes, Hyundai did use to use 4g63's in some of their older product lines, but when the Tiburon was released it used its own Hyundai built power train.

Furthermore, the only main similarities is that they are 2.0L engines. Take the head off of a 4g63 and you will notice 2 Cam sprockets, Hyundai only uses 1. So timing is changed throughout the system. Also if I remember correctly the 4g63 head design and shape are different. Yes you are going to see a lot of similar things, but take almost any 2.0L engine and look at similar things. Also go try and connect a 4g63 exhaust manifold to a Beta, it will fit with some customization.

Yes, Like I said you will see a lot of similarities because Hyundai use to use 4g63's but there is not exact swaps or everyone would have a Tiburon with a 4g63 turbo. I have only seen a few swaps online and it is not easy from what I have heard.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.