Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newbish question, but I searched and didn't find. What is the usual life expectancy of the 2.4l 4-cylinder engines? I found a clean 01 sonata with a 5-sp and was interested in how much more I can get out of the 80,000 mile mill.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'd assume another 100k, just got to watch the maintenance on it. Would need the timing belt changed if it hasn't been done yet.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My understanding is that its the same as the world motor, and I've read that the head is slightly different than the EVO motor thats why its a 2.4L. I've also read that its the same motor as the Caliber R/T and SRT4, the R/T just has a different head also, thats why it has a bit more HP, its a 2.4L. And the SRT4 is slightly different from the EVO which both are 2.0L.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
If you're talking about the older 2.4l which came in the 2004 or earlier Sonata then it's the Sirius engine. The 2.4l in the 2005 and later Sonata is the Theta engine which shares it's architecture with the World Engines.

The Sirius engine is very similar to the Mitsubishi 4G64.

Sirius engine should be able to hit 200,000 miles if treated pretty well. Supposedly the Theta is good for 300,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts