Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well my 2000 accent needs a transmission fluid change badly and was wondering how hard it would be to do myself cause i already have the filter kit but what should i get for the proper fluid and i was told to torque the bolts to 8-9 lbs is that correct

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
ok well my 2000 accent needs a transmission fluid change badly and was wondering how hard it would be to do myself cause i already have the filter kit but what should i get for the proper fluid and i was told to torque the bolts to 8-9 lbs is that correct
The automatic trans requires SP-III dfluid ONLY. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FLUID!!! Other fluids ruin the trans.

BTW Did you get the filter at the dealer? If not, you got the wrong one. They are only available at the dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
makes me worry cuz i got my fluid from autozone....i need to check that in the morning...

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
makes me worry cuz i got my fluid from autozone....i need to check that in the morning...
Take the autozone fluid back. It is the wrong fluid. There is no SP-III fluid anywhere except the dealer.

Using other fluids melts the plastic parts inside the transmission. Dexron/Mercon will ruin the trans very quickly. Chrysler ATF+3 also is not designed for the Hyundai automatic.

06-40-016 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID LEVEL
Hyundai Service Website

·
Registered
737 Posts
if that is the case then my trans must have failed long ago

i've never used hyundai trans fluid and with 107,000 miles on my car it still shifts like the day I got it.

i'd recommend using hyundai fluid because it doesn't cost much and you won't need much of it for a fluid/filter change.

I have been using dex 3/mercon based fluid with a converter every 20-25k flushing it with a bg machine. Its free for me at my shop and has worked fine for 8 years which is why I haven't changed my routine.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
if that is the case then my trans must have failed long ago

i've never used hyundai trans fluid and with 107,000 miles on my car it still shifts like the day I got it.

i'd recommend using hyundai fluid because it doesn't cost much and you won't need much of it for a fluid/filter change.

I have been using dex 3/mercon based fluid with a converter every 20-25k flushing it with a bg machine. Its free for me at my shop and has worked fine for 8 years which is why I haven't changed my routine.
A lot of people have had trans failures just because Dexron is used in the transmission. Hyundai also will not warranty the work (when under warranty) when other fluids are used. I lost count here on the forums, but I've replaced about 10 trans over the last 5 years due to trans fluid issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yea i just drained the trans.... got the right fluid... id rather deal with this problem than to have to deal with a tranny fix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts