Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, last night he drove it to work w/o any probs. After he got off work it wouldn't start so he went to hel-mart and bought a battery (wrong one of course). So tonight we went over w/ the correct battery and I hooked it all up correctly. Still nothing works, no door chime, dash lights, won't crank or even attempt to crank. I really don;t want this car sitting in a shop while some guy "tries to figure it out" if someone has already been through all this before. I'm taking off work in the morning to see what I can figure out when it light and maybe not so cold. Please respond with any information as soon as possible. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Check your fuses and main underhood relays. Are there ANY sparks when you connect the battery to the terminals? Slight sparking indicates current is headed somewhere, and if NOTHING works, then the car is shorting somewhere.

Does ANYTHING work? 4ways, horn, high beam flash-to-pass?

If nothign at all works and the terminals are hooked up (PROPERLY, my ex's bro allready hooked up the battery backwards in the swift I sold him) then that means the current isn't getting to the main harness. This means that: Fusible links (or the big ass fuse on the pos. bat terminal) are bad, ground wire is missing/damaged, or, more likely, the terminals/posts are extremely corroded and need cleaning. Use some sandpaper there to get it cleaned up, or one of those "dickie" battery terminal cleaners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no spark anywhere, no lights, horn, nothing works at all...But I am just about out the door (it's light and a lil warmer then it was last night) to see what I can see and figure out. Might need to buy a new positive cable if the fuse on it is screwed. The battery connectors are both clean (checked that last night) and re-verified that it was hooked up properly (neg to "-"/black cable and pos to "+"/red cable). When/if I can figure anything I will let you all know..but don't hesistate to drop soem more comments, if I figure it out great but there maybe some who are not as lucky and need guidance. Again thank you all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, went back over now that it is light and warmer. Took a look and found the battery (new one) and connectors were fine but in checking the fuses noticed the 100a 32v alternator buss fuse was blown so we went and got a new one (took the old one with us) and installed the new one and the car starts up great...everything works but the radio, dome light and a few other interior lights. Gonna have to look at those fuses to see if they blew when the alternator buss fuse blew. Otherwise it is driveable now. thanks for all your alls help.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK..checked the fuses under the dash and all are OK, checked the fuses under the hood..all are OK. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do or check next to make the radio and the dome/map lights work again? Also the lights that signal the doors or trunk or gas flap are no longer working either. Any help would be highly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts