Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have just recently purchased a 2000 Elantra with a bad engine (head and block were cooked). A 2004 Elantra came through where I work as a fleet mechanic for a tow company. I seen that they appeared to have the same engine 2.0... I removed the engine and installed it into the 2000. So we have a 2000 Elantra with a 2004 engine now. The sensors from the 2000 engine are what I put on the 2004 engine. The car started right up and runs really well so far, however I keep popping a P0342 code which is the cam positioning sensor has detected the TDC cyl. #1 twice in one revolution of the crank....I believe. So I did some research on the engine I installed and found out that it is a CVVT (constant variable valve trimming engine). The 2000 Elantra did not support the CVVT motor. So first question...with the CVVT not hooked up (oil flow vale left disconnected) will that affect the running of the car other then 3-8Hp? Second question...is there a different trigger ring on the cam in the 2004 engine than the 2000 engine that the cam positioning sensor is not picking up on. Third question...I checked on a schematic on the Hyundia service page to check the circuit, however all they had was a schematic for a 2004. Same three wires that run to the sensor...a ground, a positive 12 volt feed, and according to the page I should have 0 volts on the center wire off of the PCM until it is triggered. However I am getting 5 volts constant directly from the PCM. Is this the cause of the P0342 code or is this a normal reading. I really need one of you Hyundia dealer techs help on this one!!!!!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
You need to have the 2004 ECM to work with the 2004 engine. The cams are set at 0 degrees when that system is not electrically connected, but the cam can move slightly on its own if there is no oil pressure to stop it from moving, which is why you are tossing the code.

The 04 sensors are different than the 2000 sensors and the crank position sensor on the engine may not work well with the newer engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more questions

The PCM from the 2004 car has a different plug in pattern then that off the 2000. I don't believe that changing out the whole harness is going to be an option. I am curious is to why all of the other sensors are operating except for the CMP sensor. Do you believe that there will be a problem other than the MIL on if I continue to run the engine. I was under the assumption that springs hold the cam to a certain timing until oil pressure changes the advance on the cam. Also the cam sensor picks up of the exhaust ..I believe, I thought that the CVVT system adjusted the exhaust cam timing? What will the car run like without seeing the cam sensor function properly?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The PCM from the 2004 car has a different plug in pattern then that off the 2000. I don't believe that changing out the whole harness is going to be an option. I am curious is to why all of the other sensors are operating except for the CMP sensor. Do you believe that there will be a problem other than the MIL on if I continue to run the engine. I was under the assumption that springs hold the cam to a certain timing until oil pressure changes the advance on the cam. Also the cam sensor picks up of the exhaust ..I believe, I thought that the CVVT system adjusted the exhaust cam timing? What will the car run like without seeing the cam sensor function properly?
The CMP sensor has been redesigned and has a different voltage range than the older sensor. New one sends a different volt reading to the ecu under a different set of parameters, which is throwing the older ECU off.

The VVT adjusts exhaust cam timing only, but it can change if certain conditions are met without being hooked up.

The cam sensor needs to be operational so the ecu will get the engine to run at peak performance. If it does not, a limp home mode is set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What options do i have to disable the CVVT and get the cam sensor to pick up ....Any at all? with out changing the head or cams preferably. Also I still have both sensors. from 2000 engine and 2004 engine. Is the 2004 sensor (which has a blue, white, & a yellow wire) able to send the correct info to the older model PCM or is the fact that I don't have the CVVT hooked up going to through a wrench in the works. (I guess to clarify will the new sensor be able to pick up the correct signal off the new cam and send it to the old PCM, If so I am curious as how to hook up the circuit. However it's starting to sound like i should have done some better research before i put the engine in. Hope you can help

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The 2004 cam position sensor uses the cvvt system to determine where the cam position is, which the old PCM cannot do. The CPS sensor also has a revised function that has a different type of signal that won't work with the old PCM.

What HMC did was revise the sensor function as well as the design in newer cars. The 2000 car has a beta 1 engine, but the 2004 car has a revised beta 2. Heads are completely different. Block is similar, but has revised sensors.

Even a 2001 beta 2 engine is different than the beta 1 engine that came with the 2000 J2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car runs well right now. The old sensors are working fine with the new block. I swapped intake and exhaust manifolds during the swap, and am using all the old sensors from the old engine. i.e. crank positioning sensor, and have no problems (except cam sensor). Tomorrow I will pull the valve cover to look at the cams and see what I can do. just because they shouldn't work together doesn't always mean that they wont. I'll let everyone know what I find. Also been reading allot of threads on guys who want to put a turbo on their CVVT equipped cars just unplugging the oil control valve, and not having any problems. Will no more tomorrow though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found out that the reason that the cam sensor is picking up TDC of CYL #1 more than once in one rev. off the crank, Because in the old engine on the cam there was one pin that the sensor read off of when it came around. On the new cam the pin is replace be a piece of raised metal cast into the cam that half encircles where the pin was on the old cam. Bottom line the cam sensor wont send the right info to the pcm from the new cams :(

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Found out that the reason that the cam sensor is picking up TDC of CYL #1 more than once in one rev. off the crank, Because in the old engine on the cam there was one pin that the sensor read off of when it came around. On the new cam the pin is replace be a piece of raised metal cast into the cam that half encircles where the pin was on the old cam. Bottom line the cam sensor wont send the right info to the pcm from the new cams :(
Which means the old PCM is not compatable with the revised head design. Need to have the old head. Get a 2000 head and use that with new studs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts