Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am seeking some advice about a tranny issue on my 2000 Elantra. It's an auto tranny and the problem started with the original tranny not wanting to go into 4th gear and the engine having to work VERY hard to get the car up a hill. I would have to coax it to shift by reving it up and letting off. If it did go into fourth, as soon as I hit the gas it would kick down. If I gave it alot of gas it would seem to slip. I figured the tranny was gone since the car has 185,000 miles on it. So I went to a junkyard pulled a tranny out of a 99 Elantra with 71,000 an it and installed it in my car (all in one day). Well in my haste I did not notice that the 99 tranny has one connector that is different the 99 has a four prong plug and the 00 harness has a six prong plug ie: it no fit..... I have looked at some wiring diagrams and it appears that it is for the cruise control. Since the swap the tranny is stuck in third I understand that this is a fail safe condition and I get some codes from the scan tool...P0743 and P050......

Does anyone know if I can use this '99 four prong plug tranny in my '00 six prong car?

can I splice the two together? and if so what wires to what (six into four)?

or should I just go get a '00 six prong tranny and do the swap again?

or is the whole problem something else?

Thanks...............:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update

Hiya folks,
Well seeing no other option I went ahead and got another tranny for my car. I went back to junkyard and this time I pulled a 2000 auto tranny with 60K and installed it in my car. The tranny works great. I discovered that it Must be a "six prong" tranny for a "six prong" car; and in 1999 Elantra auto trannys came as either a 4 or a 6 "prong plug". All 2000 Elantra auto trannys are 6rs. Now I just gots to swap the motor and all will be well..............tanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts