Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, 111500 miles on it. The car is shutting off without reason. Recent work on the car has been: replacing the tailpipe, changing both oxygen sensors (before and after the catalytic converter), fixing an oil gasket leak, and replacing spark plugs. I added fuel injector cleaner which worked for a little while and then it started all over again. Just recently, the car shut off while going up a hill. The car tends to shut off when standing still, but it's not always the case. The only thing that I could think it could be is the fuel filter. I know it's time for a tuneup, but is there anything else that I can consider looking at? Thank you.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Could be lots of things is it throwing a code at all? Could be spark plugs, wires, coil/ignitor not sure which one those cars have guessing coil. But normally that is just one or two cylinders, could be fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injectors, could be a sensor somewhere or the computer.

I would start by seeing if the computer has any codes then probably would look into a tune-up or atleast the parts of a tune up applying to the engine running, don't need brakes check if the car can't move :) then look at those other things, really it could be a hand full of stuff and would probably need more information as to when and how it is shutting off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has never been any codes that have come up relating to why the car just turns off. There were codes for the oxygen sensors which were replaced. I also had a code where I had to replace the gas cap, which I did. As I said before, I added fuel injector cleaner, which worked for a little while, then the problem started up again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guessed I shouldn't have said anything about not getting any codes. I did get two Check Engine codes. The first one was P1128, and the second was P0734 (4th gear ratio incorrect). I don't know what P1128 is, and as for the second one, I'll keep driving the car until the transmission falls out (which could be any time), or I get another car (whenever that is).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had it happen

I had the same issue with our 99 elantra, hasn't happened for awhile * knock on wood. They checked the sensors, and then I think it was some plugs needed to be replaced but like you we found that putting the gas cleaner in worked.. and if we went to the well known gas stations not the ones at the truck stop etc. ( did that once and it really acted up).....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Fuel pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was looking for a post that was near the problems I'm having.

This may be close enough...at least someone know a bit about this stuff.

I lost overdrive on my 2000 Elantra. it would come and go for a while (wouldn't shift into OD) but this last time it just slipped...

It's my winter car so I just let it go..runs fine with OD turned off..
Well winter is a coming so I took it down to Advance Auto and checked the codes (check engine light was on for a while.)

here's the codes I got.

DTC (Codes)

P0303
Cylinder 3
Misfire Detected

P0300
Random/ Multiple
Cylinder
Misfire Dectected

P0301
Cylinder 1
Misfire Dectected

P1624
Manufacturer Contrl
Auxiliary Inputs
Auxiliary Outputs

P0734
Gear 4 Ratio
Incorrect

P0717
Input / Turbine Speed
Sensor A
Circuit No Signal

P0760
Shift Solenoid C
Malfunction

This is what I got. I really like the car and would like to fix it but if it cost too much I'll pick something else up. I'm not worried about the 0300 codes as I've heard they will pop up when there's tranny problems.

Any help would be appreciated. What and where do I find th3e Turbine Speed sensor A, and Shift Solenoid C.

Thanks,,,,,

·
Registered
26 Posts
wilburisthecoolest said:
Fuel filter. even if that dosent stop it, it will help it, and thats a filter thats now clean;)

could you tell me, or a good picture of the fuel filter location?

had the samething happen last week with it cutting out, was planning on changing the fuel filter & plugs this weekend to hope to correct it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts