Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Remove the negative battery terminal, get in and turn the key to run (do not try and start), and then step on the brake for about a minute (this discharges the ECU). Now wait untill the car is warmed up and drive like a bat out of hell, if you want performance. If not go drive like a grandma for better gas milage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks did it after a couple days my check engine returned for 1 day now the check engine light is out again,car still running crappy

·
Registered
447 Posts
just exactly how long do u drive like a bat out of hell? for the performance persay?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
You can search on hyundaiaftermarket.com for the exact algorythm, but it goes something like this.

After a reset the computer waits for the car to reach normal operating temprature. Once there for the next five minutes it goes into a "learning mode". After seeing the driving style for that 5min it changes the long term fuel trim (or something like that). Then on every other driving cycle it will look again for some amount of time 2-5min and readjust. I might be a little off. I always reset, wait untill the car is warm, drive like a nut for 5 min, then wait a week and do it again. My elantra goes to the lean side below 4.5k rpms rather quickly. My accent (01 GS 1.6) on the other hand hated to have its computer reset. I lost .3-.4 tenths at the track doing that. It would take it about a week to come back to where it was after it learned my driving. Huge diffrence between my 2.0 and the 1.6 I had. So if it seems slower after the reset it might be. Also if I dont drive hard enough after I reset the elantra I get what I call "retarded vtec mode". I dont know if its the ignition or the fuel maps causing it but if it thinks I want fuel economy I dont get **** for power untill 5k, then it takes off. If it does that the only way to stop it from doing that is another reset, drive hard again. :ermm: Good luck.

[Edited by WytchDctr on Oct 28, 2005 1:34 AM]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by WytchDctr
[body]
That means there is still a problem. Fix what the code is telling you is wrong, then reset the computer.
[/body]
Oh for sure but what i dont understand is why it came on for a day went off for a day then came back on,im getting the codes checked in day.But my biggest thing is driving the car for 3 weeks with no check engine light on but getting very poor for econemymight have messed up something more,thanks for your comments

[Edited by sweet-ride on Oct 29, 2005 3:51 PM]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just had my buddy check for codes,i beleave 1125 came up whatever that is and he reset with the his scan tool...the engine detenated at first then started to run better than before when i just tried to reset with the battery...

[Edited by sweet-ride on Oct 30, 2005 8:40 PM]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts