Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2001 Accent GL 4-door with the 1.6L DOHC, MAP sensor-based. I want to do a beta swap, so I am trying to get all the information I need to begin planning things out.
First of all, most of the stuff I have read is on the x3 Accents, not the 2000-03 ones like mine. Do I want the Beta 1 or Beta 2 engine, and which years do the designations apply to? My Accent has only 90K miles on it and has chewed through 3 transmissions already, so I will probably do a beta trans as well - which one will be the better fit?
Also, is there any way to keep the power steering and A/C? It gets very hot here in the summer, and the thought of driving around a car with no air conditioning is NOT at all appealing..lol
Another thing is, will the engine swap mess up my inspection/emissions in PA? I want the car to still pass, so how do I deal with probable exhaust issues?
Thank you in advance to everyone who helps me out ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Where at in Pa are you from??? I'm in the middle near Penn State University. I am also getting ready to beta swap my accent. In the lc (00-03) you wanna use a beta II from an 01-03 elantra or an 03 tiburon. Do you have auto or manual trans? I'd go with the beta trans as it can hold a fair amount of power if you plan on boosting. I'm not sure if I'm gonna boost or not. but the accent tranny will hold a lil bit of boost. If you wanna pick my brain hit me with an e-mail d e r e k f 0 r s h e y @ v e r i z o n d o t c o m

Minus the spaces I don't need a spam account.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Slyderdai, I am from the Philadelphia Area. I am probably going to do the beta swap next year, but I am trying to gather all the information that I can beforehand so that it all goes smoothly - what do I do about the engine immobilizer on the Beta II engine? I am definitely going with a Beta trans, as my Accent only has 90K miles on it and is on its third tranny which is going bad again. I don't beat on the car, so I am completely sick of the transmissions going every year! I have an automatic transmission. I would love to hear about how your beta swap goes and anything you run into while doing it. Best of luck with it! When are you doing your swap?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I started about a month ago I'm working on sourcing a beta II motor right now. And as far as I know if you use the beta motor 1.5 harness and 1.6 ecu everything will be plug and play! straight up swap aside from extending a few sensor wires and converting from maf to map. Search for Jsharptooth's beta swap project on Hyundai aftermaket . org he's got a DIY pinned over there and lot's of good info on it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I had my Beta II put in, we were a bit worried about the immobiliser but just decided to try and run it without one. Turns out it runs just fine, so I think as long as it isn't plugged in it doesn't need it to run, go figure...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts