Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i ran into a problem less than 15 minutes ago, i was switching my old pads for the new KVR performance pads that i bought from here and they were both put into place with shims, then as i lowered the caliper over them, the caliper would not go over them both, the pads are too thick, there is this big round circle of metal that is in the caliper and that was the part that wouldn't go over the inner pad, i tried pushing it in and nothing, now im stuck with brand new pads and they won't fit.... is it possible that i got the wrong pads?? please help me anyone

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thats the calipers piston, get a big c-clamp and drive it back in. The piston automatically takes up the slack of wearing rotors and pads, which is why its moved out. So yea, use a c-clamp witht he anchor of it on the rear of the caliper housing and the driving part inside said piston. Just push it in far enough to be able to get the pads in, not untill the veins pop out of your forehead from trying to push it in as far as it will go. Hope that helps:smoking:

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
that's part of the trick, use a block of wood or the old pad to against the piston so the clamp won't ruin the piston..

dont' forget to grease bolt's when they go back in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If their your rear brakes they might be the same freaky ones on the 2001 tibbies. They have to be screwed back in. If the cylinder is solid with a cross pattern of little grooves around the outside of the cylinder then you will have to twist them a little to get them to release and back into the caliper. After their released they should push back in easily or you may have to turn them all the way back in until their flush enough to allow the new pads to fit. It is because the E-brake and Normal Brake both share the caliper I believe.

Let us know if you get it fixed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Originally posted by zolomek
[body]
If their your rear brakes they might be the same freaky ones on the 2001 tibbies. They have to be screwed back in. If the cylinder is solid with a cross pattern of little grooves around the outside of the cylinder then you will have to twist them a little to get them to release and back into the caliper. After their released they should push back in easily or you may have to turn them all the way back in until their flush enough to allow the new pads to fit. It is because the E-brake and Normal Brake both share the caliper I believe.

Let us know if you get it fixed.
[/body]
this is not the case with an accent.

i am sorry to say but if you have to ask such a question then you should not be changing your own brakes. obviously you meachnic knowledge is 0. To keep yourself safe and others around you safe please bring your car to a garage until you have learned mechanics. Brakes are not something you should be messing with when you have no knowledge of cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts