Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums so Hi to all!

I have a supercharged Honda, so the Hundai is kind of new and neat. I have some questions for you all cause I want it to run right before modifications start.

Here is what I have:

'01 Accent with 97,000 original Miles.

Upon picking car up from previous owner I noticed rough idle. while driving the car home car it began violent down shifting on hills under load (climbing) with wild tach needle variations. Closer to home on flat terrain operation car then ran
normally.

When I was almost home Tranny went into what I think was its Failsafe mode and would not shift out of first gear so I eased it into my drive at 20 MPH.

What I have done so far to fix the problems:

Accessed the front harness behind the firewall, and found the diode and cleaned it. it was corroded.

New Plugs and Wires.

New Pulse generators A and B.

Tranny Service and Filter

New Engine oil and filter, new Air filter

Currently a Huge improvement in how the car now runs. There appears to be at least one electrical demon left as there is still a slight (and ocassional) problem when climbing grades at 70 Miles per hour and only after about 1 hour of sustained driving where the car looses 2-3 hundred RPM with an accompinying Needle bounce from the tachometer and loss of power thyically when clinbing hills. I have found that this problem goes away by simply shifting the car out of overdrive and returning it to overdrive. This action mysteriously abates the problem for a variable period of time.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this remaining condition?

I feel this is overall a good car with some complex electrical sensors that give it a bad rap with some people.

Thanks! Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It sounds like a slipping tranny. I wonder if the tranny got flushed with the wrong fluid if these trannys get flushed with Dexron/Mercon they have a tendancy to self destruct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I considered that. Fluid wise- I used a Star 3 rated fluid by Castroil.

To be sure I will change the fluid again with official Hyundai Fluid today.

Again it is not like slippage it is more like a signal failure because the RPM's drop. and the engine looses power.

If mechanical and tranny slippage RPM's should rise. and if mechanical seems like it it would be prone to fail again immediatly and fail consistantly hot and cold and at all speeds-not just at 70 MPH and after about 1 hour of steady driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts