Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 Elantra with an automatic transmission. I got gas yesterday and after filling up, on my way home the transmission felt a little funny. All of a sudden the transmission made a kicing feeling with a thumping sound and then the check engine light came on. The transmission then refused to up or down shift, I think getting stuck in 3rd gear. I say this because from a stop the car was very sluggish, indicating it was not in first gear. Even If i manually put the transmission in L,2, or 3, it felt exactly the same. After shutting the car on and off a couple of times the check engine light went off and then the car shifted perfectly. What ever is causing the check engine light to come on is some how causing the transmission not to shift. I drove the car around last night to test it out and it seemed to happen randomly several times, sometimes requiring frequent restarts to clear the ecu. I thought this might have been releated to the gas that I just got, since I have never had a problem like this before. I have put a bottle of dry gas in and have used a quarter tank of gas so far and the check engin light or shifting problem as not returned. Any ideas what this could be? If the check engine light comes back on I'm going to go to autozone to have the code pulled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a Pulse Generator is going out. Mine did the same thing. I also had the speed sensor switch replaced. Mine shifted from 4th to 1st at hiway speed and sounded like the tranny was coming out. The Pulse Generator is easy to replace and it's about $60 from the dealer. The sensor is behind the speedometer in the dash and a more difficult fix. I paid the dealer $75 for labor to do it and the part was only about $18.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
You better get the codes checked. These systems are VERY picky and can be tricky especially since there is a CAN line (computer networking interface) between the ECM, TCM and ECU, and you MUST have a high pro scan tool with the Hyundai software to erase the codes. A universal scan tool cannot do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by cclngthr
[body]
You better get the codes checked. These systems are VERY picky and can be tricky especially since there is a CAN line (computer networking interface) between the ECM, TCM and ECU, and you MUST have a high pro scan tool with the Hyundai software to erase the codes. A universal scan tool cannot do that.
[/body]
The CEL has not reappeared today at all. Can the code still be pulled even if the CEL isn't on? Also, would autozone be able to pull this code with a standard scan tool, or would a pro scan tool be required for that too. Would anyone know if the pulse generator is considered a powertrain part, as the car is out of the 5 year warranty and is only covered by the 10 year powertrain warranty. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by cclngthr
[body]
[/body]
The CEL has not reappeared today at all. Can the code still be pulled even if the CEL isn't on? Also, would autozone be able to pull this code with a standard scan tool, or would a pro scan tool be required for that too. Would anyone know if the pulse generator is considered a powertrain part, as the car is out of the 5 year warranty and is only covered by the 10 year powertrain warranty. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The pulse generator is part of the trans electricals, but on the 2001+ XD's, they rarely fail. The VSS fails more often. I'd have the dealer diagnose the problem. These trans are very picky with sensors and fluid and you need the right tool to scan the computer. I have the high pro with Hyundai software, but I paid a pretty penny to get that tool (over 6 grand).

Even with the light off, the code is stored in the ECU. A standard scan tool may not accurately read the codes, and may give you wrong codes especially with the CAN system codes. I know to erase the code the high pro is required. Pulling the ECU fuse will NOT erase it because the code involves the network protocol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cclngthr,
Thanks for the super fast response! I wonder if it might some how be related, but I had a tranny leak a few weeks ago and took it to the dealer. Turned out it was a tranny seal ( I forget the exact name). Could something the dealer did in replacing this part cause this problem? Oh and pardon my ignorance, but was is the VSS? Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Originally posted by 01elantragls
[body]
cclngthr,
Thanks for the super fast response! I wonder if it might some how be related, but I had a tranny leak a few weeks ago and took it to the dealer. Turned out it was a tranny seal ( I forget the exact name). Could something the dealer did in replacing this part cause this problem? Oh and pardon my ignorance, but was is the VSS? Thanks again!
[/body]
It is not possible that the leak caused this issue, unless the fluid apparently got onto it, which isn't likely, because the seals on these is not located near the sensors. I assume the driveshaft seal failed???

VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It operates the speedo and determines how fast the car is going. When these fail, the trans will go into fail safe mode. Also, when the speed sensor at the right front wheel goes out, the same issue can come up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to autozone today to have the codes pulled( they were able to do so even though the CEL was no longer on). There were 4 codes in total as follows:

P0765- malfunction in shift selenoid "D".
P0760- malfunction in shift selenoid "C".
P0715- malfunction exists in the input circuit for the turbine speed sensor.
P1529- Scair selenoid circuit malfuntion.

The car is running fairly well right now, as the tranny problem only occures when the CEL is on. All that it is doing now is occassionally when it shifts, not sure if it's from 1-2 or 2-3, there will be a sight hesitation before it shifts and then a rougher than normal shift. Does this still sound like the VSS with the trouble codes and how do I know which one it is?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
[body]
I went to autozone today to have the codes pulled( they were able to do so even though the CEL was no longer on). There were 4 codes in total as follows:

P0765- malfunction in shift selenoid "D".
P0760- malfunction in shift selenoid "C".
P0715- malfunction exists in the input circuit for the turbine speed sensor.
P1529- Scair selenoid circuit malfuntion.

The car is running fairly well right now, as the tranny problem only occures when the CEL is on. All that it is doing now is occassionally when it shifts, not sure if it's from 1-2 or 2-3, there will be a sight hesitation before it shifts and then a rougher than normal shift. Does this still sound like the VSS with the trouble codes and how do I know which one it is?
[/body]
Ok, the shift solenoids are inside the valve body. Those have to be replaced and a dealer is the only place I'd take it. In addition to this, the input speed sensor is bad, which also must be replaced.

Get this to a dealer, have them fix the car. I would not take it to a trans shop because they have no clue to work on the Hyundai trans. Hyundai uses a special trans fluid and this is only available at a dealer and parts are dealer item only.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the help cclngthr! Two last questions...Would you or anyone else know if any of these problems should be covered by the 10 year powertrain warranty and could it damage the car at all to drive it like this? With the CEL off the car seems to be shifting fine.

[Edited by 01elantragls on Sep 23, 2006 10:58 PM]

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
[body]
Thanks so much for the help cclngthr! Two last questions...Would you or anyone else know if any of these problems should be covered by the 10 year powertrain warranty and could it damage the car at all to drive it like this? With the CEL off the car seems to be shifting fine.

[Edited by 01elantragls on Sep 23, 2006 10:58 PM]

[/body]
The sensors and solenoids are covered under the 5/60K and the internals (clutch packs, gears, bearings etc.) are 10/100K. I would not drive it like that. It wears out the parts faster.

[Edited by cclngthr on Sep 24, 2006 10:27 AM]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW...that is really bad news. The car is just out of the 5/60k warranty with a little over 5 years , but only 57k. Is this a repair that can be done at a local shop, or only hyundai? if it can be done at any shop any idea how much the parts should run or what parts and labor should be????:cry:

[Edited by 01elantragls on Sep 24, 2006 8:15 PM]

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
[body]
WOW...that is really bad news. The car is just out of the 5/60k warranty with a little over 5 years , but only 57k. Is this a repair that can be done at a local shop, or only hyundai? if it can be done at any shop any idea how much the parts should run or what parts and labor should be????:cry:

[Edited by 01elantragls on Sep 24, 2006 8:15 PM]
[/body]
I would go to a dealer. This way, the right parts and fluid will be used. Independent shops will use almost any tranny fluid and that will destroy the transmission. The REQUIRED fluid is called SP-III ATF which is available only at a dealer. Since the pan has to come off, you will lose fluid and putting anything else in the tranny will make it a paperweight in as little as 10 miles of driving. Fluid costs about 6.50 a quart. I have not priced parts, but I would guess the total bill including labor could be around 350.00 bucks (at a dealer)

Parts I have not priced, but would guess the solenoids are around 50 bucks each and the sensor should be around 40.

Just take it to a dealer and see what they say. You MIGHT get lucky and it might be under warranty since the mileage still is under 60K but over 5 years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with CC, take it to someone that knows what they are doing, like hyundai. Its not likely that all those codes mean that every component needs replaced, it could be one item setting off ALL the other codes. If it actually works sometimes, then the items are working, for the most part. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put Mobile1 full synthetic ATF fluid in mine and at 170,000KM, in my 01 elantra, contstant manual shifting in auto tranny, hitting the rev limiter, put through a tonne of abuse never gave me any trouble. Just to be sure, I'll do another oil change soon.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Originally posted by zorro19s
[body]
I put Mobile1 full synthetic ATF fluid in mine and at 170,000KM, in my 01 elantra, contstant manual shifting in auto tranny, hitting the rev limiter, put through a tonne of abuse never gave me any trouble. Just to be sure, I'll do another oil change soon.
[/body]
That Mobile synthetic fluid is likely Dexron fluid which destroys the internals. If anything OTHER than Hyundai SP-III fluid is used, the transmission will likely fail soon after. The trans was designed for that particular fluid and nothing else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 01 Elantra with an automatic transmission. I got gas yesterday and after filling up, on my way home the transmission felt a little funny. All of a sudden the transmission made a kicing feeling with a thumping sound and then the check engine light came on. The transmission then refused to up or down shift, I think getting stuck in 3rd gear. I say this because from a stop the car was very sluggish, indicating it was not in first gear. Even If i manually put the transmission in L,2, or 3, it felt exactly the same. After shutting the car on and off a couple of times the check engine light went off and then the car shifted perfectly. What ever is causing the check engine light to come on is some how causing the transmission not to shift. I drove the car around last night to test it out and it seemed to happen randomly several times, sometimes requiring frequent restarts to clear the ecu. I thought this might have been releated to the gas that I just got, since I have never had a problem like this before. I have put a bottle of dry gas in and have used a quarter tank of gas so far and the checkbook engin light or shifting problem as not returned. Any ideas what this could be? If the check engine light comes back on I'm going to go to autozone to have the code pulled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts