Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it will not run normal if not allowed to warm up 3-4 minutes. Even then it spits hard once at about 40 mph and seems to mis at about 60 periodically. Only thing that seems to help is Sinclair gas(i'm serious but i live 45 away minutes so idont get it often) The code reads too lean mixure. The dealer has no answers. Please help

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The first thing I would check is the MAF. I'm not sure if there is any way to check it or not... you may have to replace it and hope for the best.

From http://www.hmaservice.com/

MASS AIR FLOW(MAF) SENSOR AND INTAKE AIR TEMP.(IAT) SENSOR

This hot film type air flow sensor is composed of a hot film sensor, housing and metering duct (hybrid sensor element). Mass air flow rate is measured because the change of the mass air flow rate causes a change in the amount of heat being transferred from the hot film probe surface to the air flow. The air flow sensor generates a pulse so it repeatedly opens and closes between the 5V voltage supplied from the powertrain control module. The intake air temperature sensor (IAT Sensor), located in the intake air hose, is a resistor-based sensor for detecting the intake air temperature. The intake air temperature information from the sensor helps the PCM provide the necessary fuel injection.

TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS
If the engine stalls occasionally, start the engine and shake the MAF sensor harness. If the engine stalls, check for poor contact at the MAF sensor connector.
If the MAF sensor output voltage is other than 0 when the ignition switch is turned on (do not start the engine), check for a faulty MAF sensor or PCM.
If the engine can idle even if the MAF sensor output voltage is out of specification, check for the following conditions;
Disturbed air flow in the MAF sensor, disconnected air duct, and clogged air cleaner filter.
Poor combustion in the cylinder, faulty ignition plug, ignition coil, injector, and incorrect comparison.
Even if no AFS malfunction occurs, check the mounting direction of the AFS.

Check item Check condition Test specification
Mass air flow sensor output voltage Idle rpm 0.5V
2000 rpm 1.0V

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does your Santa Fe have a 2.7L ? And has anyone replaced plugs or wires before? If so then they might not have changed the upper intake manifold gasket.. And just reused the old one. In cold weather the manifold gasket will allow air to go by and set a lean code. Best to check with a little carb spray and spray it between the upper and lower intake meet.. If the idle changes at any time during the spraying it is leaking.. When you go to the dealer and ask for a intake gasket.. They call it a purge tank gasket.. Weird I know but that is what Hyundai calls it.. lol..

[Edited by imcastock on Jan 11, 2006 5:56 PM]

[Edited by imcastock on Jan 11, 2006 5:57 PM]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts