Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I am going to try and describe the problem I am having as best as I can.

I have a 2001 XG300 with 135k on it. When I first start the car in the morning and leave my driveway, if I give it any amount of gas other than feather-pumping the pedal, the car sounds as if it wants to backfire and the car kills. If I put it in neutral and re-start the car, it seems to work a little better, but I still can't "floor it" or else the RPMs dive and it wants to kill again. But it will run.

Also, when going at about 40-50 MPH (about 2500 RPMs), the car will jerk and the RPMs jump to 3500-4000 and then jerk and jump back down. It always seems to do this whether the car is warm or cold.

And the check engine light is on, and here are the codes for it:

P0171 - System too Lean Bank 1
P0174 - System too Lean Bank 2
P0300 - Cylinder Misfire
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire
P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire
P1191 - Pre-Catalyst Fuel Trim Bank 2
P1193 - Post-Catalyst Fuel Trim Bank 2

I know this is a lot of information and maybe is too hard to diagnose over the web, but any help or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a small update.

I reset my ECU yesterday (maybe at work was not the best time to do this). The car was fine at idle, but for the first 7 minutes or so would not get out of second gear. After that, it ran about the same as before, although if I put the gas to the floor it will downshift and take off now and not get me killed during a merge.

This morning I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes, and the initial hesitation is gone. But it is still not performing that well around the 40-50 mph range. And the check engine light came back on this morning after its first miss.

Not sure if this helps, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
try a new mass air flow (MAF) sensor, also when you floor it does it smell like rotten eggs? if so you need a new cat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try a new mass air flow (MAF) sensor, also when you floor it does it smell like rotten eggs? if so you need a new cat.
Thanks for the reply. My next step was to try and clean/replace the MAF. No smell that I have noticed. Not yet anyways. Would it be pretty hard to miss? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts