Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Accent (non gt), actually it's my wife's friends. I have read that after 2000 they stopped making the captive rotor assembly, now my question is why won't the bloody rotor come off?

I removed the caliper carrier, and the two screws holding the rotor to the hub(?), and I couldn't even bang it off with a hammer. I got it to move about 2mm, after that, she wouldn't budge... Is this still a captive rotor design, or is it just a stubborn rotor? I haven't moved to the other side yet, I wanted to be sure before I went at it again.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
very stubborn rotor. are you planning to replace it? because after you finish banging it offa there, im not sure if you'd be able to cut it within spec :) i wish i were there to help, i really love hitting the **** out of those things. might want to put a lug nut on there to keep it from flying off :p

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
^^ what he said, just dont go whack crazy with the hammer... may mess up some threads or break and bend a few things....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought a mallet... My framers hammer was too akward to fit in there, and my normal hammer is too light. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mallet was a no go, heating it, lubing it, I even went and rented a slide hammer... The 2 threaded holes in the rotor held up good, but the metal around it... not so good... So now I have to resort to the mallet again... I know she let them go metal on metal, and pretty badly too, but should these REALLY be that difficult to remove?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
if it went metal to metal for a while, the heat might have warped it onto the hub:dead: Try spraying some lube onto the hub/rotor mating surfaces, and hit that area with the hammer to break it loose. If that doesnt work, then hitting it from behind might be the only option, try not to bend anything though, if you just want to go ahead and replace the rotors then just upgrade to an even bigger hammer and go to town on it X)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, let me rephrase this... my "mallet" is actually a 10lb mini sledge :).

Well, I finally got both of them off. After many cutting wheels, sawzall blades, and numerous beatings with my "mallet", I finally realized that this job was only kept going by a matter of principle. I was DETERMINED to get these things off. What I ended up doing was drilling a row of holes through the rotor hat (taking care not to get the hub) and the front half of the rotor surface (back half isn't attached to the hat) each hole spaced out about 1/2" o/c. Then a couple whacks of my mallet on a flat chisel and the rotor cracked along the drill holes. After that, I simply pulled it off effortlessly... It sounds long, but total time to drill, crack and remove each rotor was about 15 min.

Finally got it done, and told my wife's friend that next time she needs a repair done on her car to drive right past my house, and straight to the mechanic... I don't care how hot you are! lol

Thanks for all help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts