Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my 2002 Accent trunk lock. It won't unlock. The trunk lever on the driver's side won't open it and when I try to unlock it with a key manually, it turns but it feels like something is stopping it from turning all the way to unlatch it.

This only started happening the past couple days. Any ideas what could be causing it? And how to fix it so I can get in my trunk?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
is this for the sedan or hatchback ?

I know for the hatchback there are screws underneath the moulding that covers the handle to open the hatch. you could try taking that off because i believe there's a way to bypass the lock. we had a thread on this at one point i think....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a sedan.

I tried searching for another thread but the closest I could find had to do with a trunk lock being frozen in the winter. If there's another thread, just point me in that direction.

Thanks for replying

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, ereeves116.

I read that link over but it seems to be instructions to get into a Hyundai Accent Hatchback. Mine's a 4 door sedan.

Are the steps pretty much identical?

Just to clarify, the key turns in the lock about halfway but then meets resistance that prevents it from turning the rest of the way to unlock it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah I know it was for the hatchback but you never clarified if it was a 4 door ! haha, all I can tell you is bear in mind what that says for the hatchback and monkey around with yours a bit to see if you can't get it open. And once that's open, maybe you'll want to see if you can buy a new locking mechanism from hyundai ?

But, I've had this happen with locks on houses before, try blasting white lithium grease into the key hole, it may just not be lubricated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts