Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my 2k3 tib has started 'clunking' from the rear when I go over small bumps etc. I'm pretty sure its the strut-plate or cushion back there but all my local dealers are COMPLETELY USELESS and are telling me its 'by design'.

Needless to say I don't believe a word they say, as it only started this recently.. obviously they are lying to avoid a warranty repair .. so I guess i do this myself, but where can I find replacement parts? I mean I'm more than willing to replace the entire strut assembly with upgrades but the stock parts would just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Well, you should have someone ride with you to make sure that the strut is where the noise is coming from. If it's from the strut top if you remove the plastic the person might even be able to see what is happening.

Another option is to try another dealer. The uselessness of Hyundai dealers varies widely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the tip - I actually took the car to a local place to have new tires + alignment, and it was them that pointed out the strut issue. They said I should get that fixed before having an alignment. I can't say for sure that's what it is, but is there any way to tell by visual inspection?

The car does tend to 'drift' a bit at highway speeds, I don't know if that's any indication of a strut issue or more likely just poor alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey would this:

SB101R Rear Boot/Bumpstop - Shockwarehouse.com

...be the correct replacement part? It says 'boot/bumpstop' I'm not sure if that is the same as the 'strut-cushion'.

I figure while I'm at it ill just replace the entire suspension with

Complete Set Front and Rear
KYB KYB GR2

Anyone had experience with these parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I would be inclined to take it to a shop for a quote. They'll at least tell you exactly what's wrong. Or did they say it was the "strut cushion"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The place I took it to is a tire/wheel place, and I've had awesome luck with them - they said for sure its the 'strut-cushion' at the top of the strut, they didn't want to take my money for alignment until I had it fixed, that way I don't have to do 2x alignments.. and they didnt even charge me for the inspection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts