Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my car, and put it into drive it says in 3rd gear. When I shut it off and turned my key half way, and switched it in and out of gear, then started it, it shifted from 1st to 2nd, and then shortly (10 secs) into 3rd again?

What is the problem Electric or mechanical?

How can I fix this?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Your car is, I am guessing, an automatic?

The problem is electrical. Call your dealer. It could be a switch, wiring, or the computer, or maybe the gauges. Does it drive properly, or does it actually only have 3rd gear? 3rd gear only is limp-to-the-dealership mode and usually only comes from Bad Problems. Do you have a check engine light?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car is, I am guessing, an automatic?

The problem is electrical. Call your dealer. It could be a switch, wiring, or the computer, or maybe the gauges. Does it drive properly, or does it actually only have 3rd gear? 3rd gear only is limp-to-the-dealership mode and usually only comes from Bad Problems. Do you have a check engine light?
I believe the warranty has ran out. It drives properly, but just really tough, the RPM's get pretty high. I put in a new air filter today, and a new oil filter (not the right word) and 5 quarts of synethic oil.

I do have a check engine light. This has been going on for weeks but I didn't think it was that serious, but I have to be so careful when I pull out of the drive way to make sure I got room.

Like I said when we turned the car off, and turned the key so it was still of just able to move gears, we moved it in and out of gear then started and it took off fine, but 10 seconds later it would click.

:(

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Get the codes read and get back with us. It likely is a sensor, or several sensors, but we won't know until the code numbers are posted. Autozone can scan the ECU for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am really unsure of what you want me to do?

How much would it cost to have it read?

And how much am I looking at to get it fixed.

This sucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tranmission ended up going but I got a used one with a 6 month warranty and had it installed all for just 720 dollars I was very happy with that price, and I trust this mechanic alot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts