Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife's 2003 Sonata GLS 2.7L V6 is nearing 60,000 miles, so I called the dealer to see how much the 60k maintenance is. They quoted me $489 to change all the fluids, rotate the tires, replace the spark plugs, and do a general all over inspection. Replacing the timing belt (which is called for in the owner's manual) would be another $440. So with tax I'd be right around $1,000!

I then called a Monro shop and they quoted me $620 plus tax for all of the above. Half of their quote was the labor for the timing belt.

My question is: how important is it to get the timing belt replaced? The car runs great and we've never had any major problems with it. I just paid it off and we plan on keeping it a few more years until we have our second child and need something bigger.

Should I bite the bullet and get it replaced? Or skip it and hope it doesn't break? And if it did break, could it cause any damage? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
well....

im not an expert but i do know if your timing belt brakes your engine is trash!!! I would personally check your belt over look for cracks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ah, the ever important question of the timing belt.

The head on your engine is likely an intereference type (I know the beta is) so if the belt snaps or slips too much, the tops of your pistons smash into your valves. As you can guess, kinda a bad thing to happen.

I know the belt price for mine was about $60. With the cost of labor, it was about like, $300-400 all said and done. The timing belt is a PAIN spacewise, as far as I can tell for my car, and requires lining stuff up correctly too.

But basically, it's very important that it doesn't break so you should probably get it done at said 60,000 mile point.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My question is: how important is it to get the timing belt replaced? The car runs great and we've never had any major problems with it. I just paid it off and we plan on keeping it a few more years until we have our second child and need something bigger.

Should I bite the bullet and get it replaced? Or skip it and hope it doesn't break? And if it did break, could it cause any damage? Thanks.

Mark
Your engine is warranted for 10y/100k miles IF you do the REQUIRED scheduled maintenance. Changing the timing belt is part of the REQUIRED maintenance. If your belt breaks it will trash your engine. You will need at the very least new cylinder heads but it could trash the pistons too. On top of that, depending on how fast you are going at the time you should trash your transmission because the car will be moving when the engine stops dead.

Now, if the belt breaks BEFORE 60K miles, Hyundai will give you a new engine. If it breaks AFTER 60K miles, YOU are buying a new engine.

Dirty Harry said:
So you've got to ask yourself one question, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya punk?
Here are some threads you should read:
Santa Fe Transmission Issue -
New Member -

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Argh. Everyone's recommendation to get it replaced is what I was afraid of. Literally just paid off the car today, and now I'll still be putting money towards it. Thanks for the feedback.

One more question: I don't have to get it done at the dealer in order to keep the warranty valid right? I always keep all my maintenance receipts. By going to Monro (who I trust and usually take my cars to for service) at least I can save some money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After thinking it over, I'm think I'm going to have a dealer do the timing belt. I'd save about $75-100 by going to Monro, but when it comes to taking the engine apart I think I'll feel better having a dealer do it. Plus I'd have better recourse options should something go wrong. I'll go to Monro to have all the fluids changed and spark plugs replaced as that will be cheaper there than at the dealer. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts