Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i purchased lowering springs for my 2004 hyundai accent 2dr 1.6l. After 2 days of attempting th put them on myself I failed. I removed the strut and compressed the spring but I couldn't figure out how to remove the old spring. I figured all I had to do was take off the only bolt on top of the strut but as hard as I could I couldn't loosen it. Is their a trick or a special tool or are springs just one of those things that should be left to professionals? If it should be left to the professionals how much should I look to pay I have been quoted 680 dollars but that seems high for just removing 4 tired, 16-28 bolts, 4 springs and putting it back together. If anyone has any advice or pictures or stories please share.

·
Registered
737 Posts
try soaking your top nut with penetrating oil and let it sit for a couple hours. Try to find someone with an impact gun and try getting it off then. You might have to have someone hold the strut shaft because if the top nut is on tight enough the whole shaft will spin with it. It also helps to have some compression still on the strut mount to help with the spinning, then once you have the nut somewhat loose compress the spring more to get the mount off.

I've had to cut off strut nuts before because of the same issue. This might not be an option for you if you are reusing the struts you have now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
when I installed my lowering springs I did it without air tools the first time but I think I used a vise grip to hold the center rod on the strut, while I used a breaker bar or long ratchet to undo the nut. When I put new struts on a year later I used air tools and I could do it 15 minutes a wheel easy. I was quoted $100 per axle to change struts/springs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts