Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

The timing belt broke early on my 2004 LC2 and so the cylinder head/valves are probably hosed. It had about 170k miles on the engine already so I'm questioning if it's worth rebuilding the head.
I figure it's a good excuse to try a Beta swap instead.

There's a lot of somewhat conflicting information out here so I just want to get things straight:

1. The best engine to use is a 2.0L Non-CVVT Beta II as it uses MAP just like the original Alpha 1.6L DOHC I have, correct? Which cars had this particular Beta II engine? If I had to go for a Beta 1 could I just bolt up the original LC2 intake to retain MAP?
2. I read Beta IIs have immobilizer systems, how do I avoid this being a problem if I was to use a Beta II ECU?
3. If I do not move the engine over to add more room for the pulleys (by slotting the mounts), will the original axles work? Or does the diff still end up in a slightly different position? Would this change if I kept the original LC2 5-speed transmission instead of using the Beta's one?
4. Has anyone got away with not moving the engine over (by slotting the mounts) and was still able to change the belts?
5. I know the Alpha intake is supposed to bolt right on, but what about the Alpha exhaust header/manifold? Or will the Beta exhaust header hook up to the Alpha's downpipe? Or will a custom solution be necessary? I was thinking worst case I could use the Beta exhaust, cut the downpipe and weld it to the original LC2 downpipe where they would intersect
6. It looks like there's CVVT Beta II's a lot closer to me than non-CVVT ones. I am assuming these aren't compatible with the Alpha 1.6 ECU?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Your best bet is a beta 2 along with engine and trans. Reuse the original engine harness. You will need to extend/modify the injector wires/connectors and the ignition coil wires/connectors. Reuse the 1.6L ecu. I'm not sure if in 2004 the 1.6 had cvvt, but if my memory serves me right they don't. These ecu's are capable of simple of simple instructions, as in injector pulse width correction and fuel trim per MAP, TP, and O2 sensor readings. The 1.6 ecu should work fine. the header downpipe will not bolt up to the exhuast, a muffler shop can handle that easily. You should need the cv axles out of a 1.8 automatic to accomodate the differentlial difference. You will have to modify the front and rear mount brackets, and cut and weld a passenger side engine mount..

Anyways that's as far as i remember from my ancient 2000 LC Beta swap lol. I still have that car by the way lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello,

It's been some time but I've been running with the swap for a while, but one problem has been stumping me the entire time:

No matter what, my idle RPM fluctuates between 1200-1500 RPM. I know high idle on cold start is normal but it will stay that way no matter how long the car has been running or driving. I've checked extensively for vacuum and intake leaks and there are none. It will also drop to 800-1100 RPM when I kick the A/C on. I think the only other cause can be a bad IAC, but I used the known working one from my Alpha engine with no change. I think it just somehow isn't getting the signal to operate.

Could this be caused by still using the Alpha 1.6 ECU with the Beta 2?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts