Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps someone can shed some light on this situation for me.

I purchased my 2006 Hyundai Accent GLS brand new, and at 11,000 KM's the CD got stuck in the cd player. I figured, no problem. I'll just take it down to the dealer and have them remove it since it's brand new.

When I got to the dealership, they started giving me a hard time about the CD stuck in the cd player. Apparently the cd/mp3 player can't handle CDR's. This poses my question ; How in the hell can it be a CD/MP3 player if it can't handle CDR's???? They don't sell store bought CD's that have MP3's on them. Retail CD's sell music in the CD format, not MP3. At least, I've never heard of store bought MP3's on a CD.

At first I thought they were trying to wiggle out of fixing it for me, however the service department kindly pointed out in the manual where it stated that the cd player didn't support CDR's or CDRW's. Ok, the CDRW's I could understand.....but if not CDR's, how can it support MP3's?

Long story short they did replace the CD player with a new unit, at the expense of one of my CDR's (they couldn't get it out!). I'm not so miffed with losing my CDR as I am confused about this whole CD/MP3 situation. Has anybody come across this before???

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Bummer man, all I can say is watch out next time. Was the cd any thicker? that might have done it. I would compare before i put another one of those in. Or get someting aftermarket.

·
Registered
253 Posts
get after market that stock head unit has very low level four channel output i beleive its only about 35x4? regardless thats what dealers do they try to wiggle out, bull**** ...you should rip out that stock crap and put in a clarion or at least a dual

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Right now I'm really miffed. I was driving to work today listening to a RETAIL AUDIO CD and all of a sudden I hear this loud electrical interference type of sound blasting through my speakers and then all of a sudden, my sound went out completely.

I was able to remove my CD, but I have NO SOUND WHATSOEVER. The radio turns on, and if I put the CD back in the display reads CD and the seconds seem to accumulate, indicating that it's playing however NO SOUND.

I've made yet another appointment to my dealership. I paid for this brand new car (and will continue to pay for 6 friggin' years) so it better work! But what I will say is this ; this will be my second time having the peice of sh*t CD/MP3 player replaced. If it dies again, I'm just going to go aftermarket. Warranty issue or not, I've got better things to do than to waste my flippin' time sitting at a dealership, trying to keep my 5 year old son from running around the place and driving me even MORE crazier than when I first walked into the dealership.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
hey dude keep getting it replaced under warranty until you are fully satisfied.

its a pita but you know the warranty is there to back you up./

·
Registered
253 Posts
preach on brethren of hyundai preach on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing just happened to me yesterday, CD display error 6 and then just stop playing the CD, i took it out, put it back in to see if it worked and it got stuck .... guess i'll need to go to the dealer now ....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right now I'm really miffed. I was driving to work today listening to a RETAIL AUDIO CD and all of a sudden I hear this loud electrical interference type of sound blasting through my speakers and then all of a sudden, my sound went out completely.

I was able to remove my CD, but I have NO SOUND WHATSOEVER. The radio turns on, and if I put the CD back in the display reads CD and the seconds seem to accumulate, indicating that it's playing however NO SOUND.

I've made yet another appointment to my dealership. I paid for this brand new car (and will continue to pay for 6 friggin' years) so it better work! But what I will say is this ; this will be my second time having the peice of sh*t CD/MP3 player replaced. If it dies again, I'm just going to go aftermarket. Warranty issue or not, I've got better things to do than to waste my flippin' time sitting at a dealership, trying to keep my 5 year old son from running around the place and driving me even MORE crazier than when I first walked into the dealership.
Yes this seems to be a common problem with the CD\MP3 player in the 2006 Accent. Mine did the same thing but because it is over 3 years old it is no longer covered by warranty even though the car has a 5 year warranty. So they wanted 249.00 to exchange the player with a 2nd hand refurbished one. I said no way then they said if I replace it with any other then a factory player, the 5 year warranty would be void on the car. This was told to my wife from the repair agent in Cairns which is Trinity Auto. I have been told by every Audio place that it is a lie and they cant believe that they would be telling people this so they make a lot of money from 2nd hand parts. I have found a 2nd hand player in Caloundra from Hyundai Parts which is $175.00. I am still scratching my head that the price for a 2nd hand mass produced stock item is still quite expensive. I rang Trinity Auto for a price on a new player and they wanted over $800.00. So now the question is do I spend the money on a 2nd hand player or spend extra money to get a after market player with a new module. Because it is my wifes car she wants the module on the steering wheel to work cause she has used it since she bought it. I have been notified that the module itself is $250.00 and $50.00 to install so it will be an extra $300 on top of the after market player. The whole deal with Hyundai and different warranties for the cars seem to be very misleading and there purplosely to make you spend copious amounts of money during the warranty period. This will definately be my first and last Hyundai I ever buy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts