Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sonata with 5200 miles on it. It is a GLS V6 and I really lover it BUT..

I have developed a very annoying engine whine at 60-69MPH. I have had the Tech drive it and he has acknowledged that the noise exists but I get the feeling they do not give it much prioirity. Has anyone else experienced this noise?? Have you gotten any information about it. I am trying to find anyone that has had this so I can get Hyundai to address this matter and not just sluff it off, which seems to be what they are doing so far.

FYI - The Tech discovered that while using the sportronic shift and going fom 5 to 4 gear the noise immediately ceases but as soon as you upshift back to 5th the noise immediately re-appears.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They didn't give you any answers on the noise? Not replacing the trany? Seems odd.. If they didn't do anything call customer relations.. Its on the Hyundai web site..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think I've heard the noise/whine.. I was test driving a 2006 today and it whined all the time.. Especially when it was cold.. Upon further investigation the power steering pump was the problem.. You could rev it especially when it's in 4-5 gear and sounded like the trany.. This is the second one I've seen do this.. Only had 2700 miles on it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey,
I have a 2006 Sonata also. I have that same problem sometimes but i dont hear it until about 120mph. Let me know if you find anything out about it. Im not sure what it is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
120 aye? A couple of comments on the whining... I hear a whine at highway speeds sometimes, but it's clearly coming from the driver's side mirror. The funny or not so funny thing is they supposedly didn't make the mirrors the folding type so as to make it quieter! Anyway, I think I have a fix for that when the weather breaks (I'm in the Chicago area -brrrrrr!). The other comment was in regard to the PS pump. Mine had a defective hose and slowly lost fluid until I could hear a classic PS pump whine. Fixed under warranty no problem and no problem since (went at 3500 miles, have nearly 17K on it now). Just thought I'd mention it. I really don't think what you're hearing is either of these things or you'd know it, I guess that's my point. Keep listening, and keep on the dealer -try others if you don't get results! take care, JP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sonata

Haha. Ok thanks man. Ya 120 is no big deal in this car. Im not sure if you have the 4 cyl. or the V6, but i have the 6 and it flies. Iv only had it to 135mph, but i hear it max's out around 142 or so. Thats pretty good. Thanks for the info. though man.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an '06 LX in Golden Beige, so, yes I have the V6. I'm sure 120 is no problem -I just haven't had the need or the the road to get there. I think I've had mine just north of 100 a couple of times. Car & Driver's first review of the LX indicates 137 MPH top speed -drag limited. Thought you might like to know... Also, most initial reports indicate 0-60 at 7 seconds flat -but I've since seen as good as 6.6 seconds. I know I can make mine hit 60 in less than 7 secs. That's great given the power to weight ratio of the car! That short first gear sure helps. Later,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sonata

Ya, the car is fast and i love it. I have the gls and i'm trying to find the LX rims (17 inch). I am also looking for performance parts for it. I want to make it go a little bit faster but i do understand that it does 0-60 in about 6.6. They made this car awesome, and it flies, however a little more power can never hurt. If you find out about anything please let me know. There is a 4cyl. on cardomain that has nitrous and runs 13's. This car can be made fast!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only thing that I know of for the V6 is a drop-in K&N filter -which I have. You can go to knfilters.com to look it up -don't have p/n handy... Summit and others can sell to you. The drop-in type is all that's needed given the nicely done ram-air system on the car. I don't expect to see much else for it -maybe a chip at some point. I would stay away form exhaust mods as the factory system flows well. Plus, loud exhausts sound crappy on automatics imo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sonata

Ya i saw that filter and was thinking about it. Wasn't sure if it was worth it. Did you notice any difference at all? I also found so bunch of stuff on sharkracing.com. They have a short ram intake, which i am hesitant about putting in. I was going to just get the filter but i hadnt heard anything about it. I believe a chip is coming out, but i want to lower it and get the 17's which i can't find anywhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can't tell the difference. Anyone who says they can tell is either lying or has just convinced themselves that they really feel the difference when they really don't. It's just one of those things you know helps it breath a little better, helping performance and mileage slightly.

Again, you don't need the short ram. The car has ram air, so all that's needed is the drop in filter. Shark is promising, but too high now. They need to get a master wd here to get their costs down. They are in Korea and ship everything via 2 day air or something like that, and it's built into their pricing. When checking out their stuff, make sure it fits your ride. Some 4 cyl. stuff doesn't work on the V6 -like the strut brace (which isn't even needed given how well they've anchored everything from the factory).

Yep, lowering mine. Got the Eibach Pro-Kit and am now waiting for the Eibach alignment kit (about $400 for all from Tirerack, best price anywhere and excellent service). I'm hoping KYB or some other company comes out with performance struts for it before I do the install. I have about 17K miles, and know the springs may cause the factory struts to fail prematurely. We'll see,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sonata

O.K. well thanks a lot. Im going to go look for the kit from eibach. I want to see your car when it is done. I got the sonata about a year ago and am just seeing these forums and things. I had no clue that a car from hyundai could be this fast unitl i got it. Stock i'v taken TL's and kept up with a friends mustang gt until about 130 (when i backed it off). If you decide to get new wheels, or know anyone who has 17's let me know, same if you find anymore performance parts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I've surprised some folks too -but not at 130... When I said I've had mine a little north of 100 a couple of times, I was all alone on open road. Since you didn't say, I'm assuming you were running on the street. If so, I've gotta jump on my soapbox for a minute. I'll take other vehicles from light to light, and only when I know I'm not putting me or anyone else at risk -pretty harmless stuff. I feel that serious racing is for the track. Consider drag racing and autocrossing locally. I've got a million miles or so under my belt, and in a variety of vehicles and conditions -including bikes, off-road, military, super late model stock cars at the Milwaukee Mile (120+ around the flat oval), Richard Petty Driving Experience (150+ around the high banks of the Las Vegas Motorspeedway), etc. Stay safe out there, okay I'm off my soapbox now.

As for the factory 17s, you might leave your information with a few local junk yards in case they get their hands on some. I would opt for a slightly wider aftermarket wheel myself.

I'll likely take pics of my ride with the new springs on when the weather gets better here. I'll probably post that along with all of my mods on my signature. Take care,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sonata

Oh yes, mostly all racing was done at New England Dragway, to see what the car could do. I suggest you do the same. I have a 2004 corvette with some mods and am still impressed with this car. I usually drive this car in the sport shifting mode and you can take it up through 125 or so in 4th, and pretty quick. Im not sure what the tires are speed tested to, but yours are different anyway. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gotcha. Yep, I'm near Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL. There's both a 1/4 mile drag strip and Chicagoland Speedway -the 1.5 mile NASCAR/IRL oval. I want to do the Petty thing there too -it was a blast in Vegas! Since the Sonata needs a bit more room than a 1/4 mile to hit 130, I know you didn't do that at the strip -so my stay safe comments still apply... Take care,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sonata

Haha. well, yes, thats why i said "mostly" but it was at about 5 a.m and with a friend of mine. i dont race on the streets too often. especially with other people around, but other than that im very careful on the streets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a 2k6 4-cylinder sonata, and i live in cali, but there's this one strip of freeway where there's no cops, except maybe some cameras up in the mountain... -_-;; but i usually hit 120 pretty quick, i saw a video of the 4-cylinder hitting 143... i'm thinking of adding a turbo charger, if i can find one that fits that is...

·
Registered
16 Posts
2006 Sonata

Has anyone heard about the new Sonata they are talking about for 2008? They call it the SXI. I have seen pictures and articles of it. It will have new suspension, brakes, wheels, black leather with red stitching. It looks very nice and i wasnt sure if anyone had heard of it. Someone should make a new post on the forum about it to see what people have heard. Let me know what you've heard. thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts