Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new accent se with the sunroof and all that extra jazz its was a showroom 07 model had only 18 miles on it. The tag on the car said it would get 32mpg city and 35mpg hwy. I drove off the lot with a full tank and had to refill only 268 miles later. according to the hyundai usa site the tank is 11+ gallons. so i got roughly 24 mpg. I have been told that the engine needs time to break in and will get better mpg after 1000+ miles. is this true?
I read on some reviews that others are getting crappy mpg in the 07. I also wondered if it was because of the 16" rims vs my old accent which has the 13." Im putting a k&n on the new car but its not gonna make up that kind of a difference in mpg. anyone else had this problem with the new accents? it kinda pisses me off really. I wasnt even using the AC or nothin. aaawwwwww SNAP!!
other than that I love the car, have any Kits come out yet? I found a weapon r intake for it, kinda high priced but not as bad as the hyundai sri. has anyone tryed the weapon r?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
You didn't empty the tank until it was dry did you? Hell when my mazda's fuel light comes on it still has almost a gallon and a half left in the tank. Check again doing this

Fill the thing up until it stops, dont round off the dollar amount.
Drive until empty,
I like to go back to the same station/pump. Refill until it stops again
Divide that mileage by the amount of gallons you just put it.

Do this three times and get an avg. That will tell you what mileage you are getting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will get better. When we first bought ours I was not happy at all with the mileage it was getting ,I went back to the dealer several times like every week for the first three months we had it and complaned how bad it was. We did a 2500 mile round trip with it about a month after we got it and it used almost as much fuel as a full size GMC truck (it has a 4.3 and 5 speed standard transmission) . The car now has just over 25000 kms on it and it is getting around 38 mpg on the highway. We are happy with it now but the first little while I wasnt to happy. We bought this car becuase we owned a 95 accent and that thing seemed to go for ever on a tank of gas we sold it for 300 bucks and the girl that ownes it cant believe the mileage it gets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot to add that it is the black GS 3 door premium model with a 5 speed. We also had the windows tinted nice and dark, looks good people are always complimenting on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, im glad to hear it. Its good to know that it will break in over time. also your right i didnt empty it all the way. i was just estimating i knew it couldnt be as good as it should be. my 96 accent gets like 38mpg so i guess thats what i was comparing it to.
so on another note. I love the way this car looks. I get compliments a lot too. I got the red wine 07 SE Im having the little kit put on on monday and they are redoing my pinstripes cuz they were all beatup when i bought it. The stripes do look nice though. I am also very happy with the way the car drives it feels great on the road and much more stable than most little cars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another noob question. when i rebuilt my 96 engine a few years ago I was told my the machineshop guys to change the oil at 100, 1000, and 3000, then every 3000 miles after that. because it was going to have more metal going through the filter or something like that. So i did that and it worked out great i now get like 38 miles per gallon with more hp than before...
so my question is, does this apply for my new accent? Should i change the oil sooner than the dealership suggested 3000 miles? ive got about 800 on it now after only a week. should i also put some LUCAS oil stabilizer in it? ive heard that it keeps the engine from dry starting and ultimatly makes that engine last longer. any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yo Newb,

It's all in how you drive the car. I have seen posts that claim 34+ mpg for our cars, but when pressed they will tell you that they are speed limit drivers. I on the other hand believe in the "Drive It Like You Stole It" philosophy. I started off (after 3,000 miles) with 26-27 with the AC, 27-28 without. Since then I've gone with the AEM intake and a 2.25" cat back no restriction muffler exhaust. I haven't crunched the numbers (I usuall wait for 3-4 tanks) but it looks like it's going to be 29-30 with AC, 30-31 without.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
well, I understand about driving the car at less rpm to save mileage and let me say that I shift pretty early and drive at the speed limit for the most part. I rarely push it even when passing. I have not even turned the AC on yet and im still getting the low mileage. hopefully it will be as 07 accent & msvg have said and it will get better over time. what about my oil change questions anybody have any thoughts on that? Oh, also mikeyhd how are you liking your setup with the intake and exhaust?

·
Registered
67 Posts
newbtastic said:
well, I understand about driving the car at less rpm to save mileage and let me say that I shift pretty early and drive at the speed limit for the most part. I rarely push it even when passing. I have not even turned the AC on yet and im still getting the low mileage. hopefully it will be as 07 accent & msvg have said and it will get better over time. what about my oil change questions anybody have any thoughts on that? Oh, also mikeyhd how are you liking your setup with the intake and exhaust?

Like it???? I love it!!!!

Major improvement in low rpm torque and major improvement for high rpm acceleration.

A wee bit on the loud side (resonance) inside the compartment when the throttle opens up , (I am on the cusp of being an old fart), but it has a real nice low tone, and very quiet at idle and low rpm (I like my neighbors, they like me, and I want to keep it that way).

·
Registered
183 Posts
He said it only has 18 miles on it. It just needs to be broken in thats all. All cars get shitty gas mileage at the start. Vary your speed don't stay at one speed for a fue tanks and it will be broken in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I usually just put in 10 gallons for my '02 3dr. It goes around 375-385 miles before I fill it back up with 10 gallons. pretty simple math there! This is highway driving around 70-73 mph.

·
Registered
106 Posts
newbtastic said:
another noob question. when i rebuilt my 96 engine a few years ago I was told my the machineshop guys to change the oil at 100, 1000, and 3000, then every 3000 miles after that. because it was going to have more metal going through the filter or something like that. So i did that and it worked out great i now get like 38 miles per gallon with more hp than before...
so my question is, does this apply for my new accent? Should i change the oil sooner than the dealership suggested 3000 miles? ive got about 800 on it now after only a week. should i also put some LUCAS oil stabilizer in it? ive heard that it keeps the engine from dry starting and ultimatly makes that engine last longer. any thoughts on this?
how much did it cost you to rebuild your engine?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
well, when i rebuilt it i had Carquest's machine shop do the head and had the engine bored out for an extra 50 bucks. all in all that part was 350 then i bought a rebuilt kit online which was 400. the kit included the larger 20 over pistons with no additional charge. i also redid a lot of other stuff at the same time and ended up spending around 1700. the engine part along with the new clutch was about 800. I now get around 36 mpg in city and somewhere around 43 on the hwy. When i moved from omaha to shreveport la recently. (800+) miles we filled the car up only 1 time in the middle. (my wife followed me in it while i was in the moving truck, which really cut down on wind resistance) looking back on it, if i had known then what i know now about beta swaps i would have tried that instead. but i have mechanically, a great little accent. However visually this car is ugly its beat to hell and my wife and kids have no respect for my interior even after redoing it entirely they trashed it. so to spite them i ripped out everything. im talking sound system, carpet, panels and all. I even ripped out the interior roof. hahaha that showed them. I made them ride around in that for like 8 months before i gave in and bought the new one. now i have plans to get rid of the old engine and do the beta swap, eventually.

·
Registered
106 Posts
newbtastic said:
well, when i rebuilt it i had Carquest's machine shop do the head and had the engine bored out for an extra 50 bucks. all in all that part was 350 then i bought a rebuilt kit online which was 400. the kit included the larger 20 over pistons with no additional charge. i also redid a lot of other stuff at the same time and ended up spending around 1700. the engine part along with the new clutch was about 800. I now get around 36 mpg in city and somewhere around 43 on the hwy. When i moved from omaha to shreveport la recently. (800+) miles we filled the car up only 1 time in the middle. (my wife followed me in it while i was in the moving truck, which really cut down on wind resistance) looking back on it, if i had known then what i know now about beta swaps i would have tried that instead. but i have mechanically, a great little accent. However visually this car is ugly its beat to hell and my wife and kids have no respect for my interior even after redoing it entirely they trashed it. so to spite them i ripped out everything. im talking sound system, carpet, panels and all. I even ripped out the interior roof. hahaha that showed them. I made them ride around in that for like 8 months before i gave in and bought the new one. now i have plans to get rid of the old engine and do the beta swap, eventually.
cool, my 1.5 is pushin 150,000 miles and ive done alot of work to the body.
since ive done all the exterior it would really suck if the engine gave out.
plus its getting only 21-25 mpg i know its going to need it soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you could probly improve your mileage with some normal maintenance like spark plugs and a k&n filter. Could be your exhaust system too. maybe you know this...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well im at 8000 miles now since oct on my 07 se manual trans. I reset my trip odo every time i fill up. The furthest ive gone before my fuel light comes on is 260 miles. granted thats not running it all the way out but still that seems very poor. How long should it take to break in the engine? that time it went to 260 miles before the light came on was all interstate at 70-80 mph with no ac. i ussually only get to about 240 before the light comes on. so whats up with this people? is this the type of milage i can expect even though the tag said 32-35 mpg? any help would be great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
well at 80mph your mileage will drop off quickly. I'm guessing the sticker mpg range is based on 65mph since that is the legal speed limit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i take the interstate to work and the speed limit is 70, not that it matters. i am comparing to a 96 accent which i have driven for 5 years now. this new accent sucks on gas mileage compared to the old one. If i had known i would be getting this kind of milage i would have bought something else, talk about misleading the buyer. this is not a case of me flooring the pedal or running the a/c, i get poor milage at 40mph in 5th gear. anyone else having this problem?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts