Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. Let me start with my problem. The Airbag Off Light for the passenger seat is staying on when someone sits in it. Its very simple to recreate the problem. I would think simple for the dealership to figure out. Considering the problems I had with the Jetta lol.

I just want to know if anyone here has seen this as a problem with the GS Accent's, or if it's just mine. Is there an easy fix I can pass on to the uneducated dealership? Possibly a few tips you could give me, for getting through to the Hyundai people? I am use to Vw people, their easy to deal with. They know their cars have problems, and were fairly easy to get through to!

When I went in.. (First visit) The guy sat in the passenger seat. Of course, everyone knows it doesn't do it on the first try, never does! I told him it's easy to recreate and if he just got up and sat back down, the light wouldn't go Off. But, he refuses. Sits there and tells me my dad and I weren't sitting in the seat properly!! Goes on to tell me if I do not sit in the seat as he is, the airbag won't come on. I told him we know how to sit in a seat, there is only one way, the way he is sitting. He tells me if I was leaning up, or to the side, it wouldn't work. I said, well, my dad doesn't sit like that, and when I was testing it, I wasn't either. Although, I have friends that lean to the "side" and it worked just fine until the other day.

He checks to see if there are any codes, nothing. Just says to keep an eye on it and to bring it back when it happens again. It happens every time someone gets in the seat. I feel it's a safety issue, and should be given more attention then telling me I don't know how to sit in a seat.

Any help would be great! I'd rather see no problems, but seeing how it happens every time someone is with me, I can't give them anymore to work with than that.

Thanks, Joah

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm no technician or mechanic but the first thing i would check is the basics. There must be a sensor in the seat I would check that even replace it being a safety issue. I would check the connections from that sensor make sure the cable is nice and tightly plugged in. I'm suprised they haven't done more for you i only have good things to speak about my dealer. Bring it to another hyundai dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a problem across many Hyundai models related to the weight requirement on the new generation airbag. The dealer is right, if you are not sitting squarely in the seat the airbag light will not go out and the air bag will not activate in a crash. I received a supplement in the mail after I bought my Elantra in '06.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts