Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 Elantra SE. Nice car, but a little too slow for me since I am coming off of a 3.5L V6 200+ Hp Santa Fe. I would like to kick it up a notch with HP, Torque and MPG. If I install 2 Turbonators, a Performance Chip and a K&N intake would I help the situation, make it worse or Blow up the Car? I am reading a lot of mixed reviews on these additions (Turbonator, Performence Chip and K&N filter). Should I just head over to a performance shop and tell them to to kick her up a notch (With about $500.00 to $1,000.00 to spend)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,330 Posts
the santa fe with the 3.5L v6 is about as slow as your new elantra.
although the 3.5L has more power, it use's a iron block..hence more weight.

the 2.7L litre v6 in the previous santa fe's use's an aluminum block and was lighter

and stay away from turbonators..they're utter crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,145 Posts
K&N = good for power and MPG

Chip = I don't think anyone makes a reflashed ECU for the 08's yet, the "chips" sold with ads like ***+40HP!!!*** are crap.

Turbonator = crap

You can do intake, header, and exhaust for decent power gains and theoretically your fuel mileage will go up if you keep your foot out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2008 Elantra SE, Cont...

Thank you for the information and quick replies. Another problem or actually two problems are; 1) Side windows fog up when I put the heat on. I had this problem with another car once before and was told the heater core was leaking anti-freeze. Is it same prob? 2) The trip computer says I am only getting 22.6 MPG, and that is with mixe Hwy/Cty driving with keeping it about 65 on HWY. I thought the Elantra was supposed to get better MPG? Thank you. The car is about a week and 1/2 old and I have app 600 miles on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,145 Posts
That MPG is low. If it continues like that after about 3000 miles I would have the dealer check it out. I would save any mods until after that. You should be getting 30 at least after break in.

As far as the fogging up windows do you have the blower on the defrost setting? That dries the air using the air conditioner and that may help. If that doesn't solve it the cause is moisture in the air intake vent which can be from a leaking heater core or rain, or even condensation depending on the severity. If it's coolant from a leaky heater core then it should smell sweet. If that continues but doesn't smell sweet at all I would be suspicious that your A/C may be faulty and failing to dry the air properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
head over to elantraxd.com you will find lots and lots of information there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
The K&N intake will throw a lean code. People have tried this and that's all they've come away with. The 07+ Elantra is a totally different machine from the earlier generations.

Elantraxd.com and ElantraClub.com are two places for Elantra-specific information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
sciphi said:
The K&N intake will throw a lean code. People have tried this and that's all they've come away with. The 07+ Elantra is a totally different machine from the earlier generations.

Elantraxd.com and ElantraClub.com are two places for Elantra-specific information.
Yep. I/H/E needs to be different than what was used on older cars because the ECU is programmed in a way so it can't adapt very far. I got a lean code with the CAI. Additionally, the intake air also cools the ECU, so that can't be played with too much. You can use a K&N drop in filter, which is an OEM replacement. Exhaust wise, a 2.25 inch catback nets less power than stock (tried this), but a 2.5 inch pipe from cat to muffler and leaving the 2 inch pipe from the muffler (which is located ahead of the rear axle) to the rear bumper nets better results.


The computer only calculates an average mileage by using the drive cycle method and it is typically lower. Mine shows 21.5 mpg.

You likely will notice a alignment issue with the rear suspension. I replaced both upper control arms on my HD so it could be aligned properly.

The windows normally will fog up if the dew point is at a certain level. The A/C dehumidifies the air and on high, it will defog the glass fine. Mine does this as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'08 Elantra follow-up...

Thank you for all the replies. They were informative and educational. cclngthr, you mention your trip computer shows 21.5...What do you actually get? also will the K&N Drop-in get me better MPG, HP and Torque?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
Sierra67 said:
Thank you for all the replies. They were informative and educational. cclngthr, you mention your trip computer shows 21.5...What do you actually get? also will the K&N Drop-in get me better MPG, HP and Torque?
On the highway, about 40 if I'm easy on the gas. City, about 25-28.

I have a 2.25 inch exhaust pipe from the 2 inch in/out Magnaflow muffler and the factory tailpipe. I also have the K&N drop in filter. I notice a little more power, but the acceleration is smoother. It could drop the mpg if you are heavy on the gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
On a similar note, does anyone know how an aftermarket fuel/engine management "piggyback" controller will interact with the OEM ECU? Seems to me that this would be an effective (albeit expensive) way to bypass the ECU issues with mods and allow a greater number of modifications with no CEL.

I'm assuming you could go with an AEM EMS if you can afford it...

On the original note, if you can't mess with anything that interacts with the ECU, perhaps another alternative is underdrive pulleys. But do understand that increasing hp and torque and increasing fuel economy are competing interests. You're probably best off figuring out which one you want the most and be prepared to make some compromises in the other department.

To optimize fuel economy, aside from driving habits, pretty much the only other thing you could do is increase tire pressure (less rolling resistance) or swap to a low-rolling-resistance tire like the hybrids use; reduce weight (lightweight wheels, lighter brake components, A/C removal, lighter weight body panels, remove interior components, lightweight battery, etc.) and reduce drag (remove side mirrors and replace with aerodynamic camera pods, tape off or mold front body seams, add a lightweight cooling fan and seal off most of the front grill area, rain-X windshield and remove wipers). You can see that it can be taken to some radical levels. What results will you see? I dunno. I think the 33 mpg I routinely get is pretty good, but I also know if I didn't drive 70 mph all the time on the freeway I would do a little better.

Whatever you do, good luck with it and keep the board updated on your progress...

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
fastmov4 said:
On a similar note, does anyone know how an aftermarket fuel/engine management "piggyback" controller will interact with the OEM ECU? Seems to me that this would be an effective (albeit expensive) way to bypass the ECU issues with mods and allow a greater number of modifications with no CEL.

I'm assuming you could go with an AEM EMS if you can afford it...

On the original note, if you can't mess with anything that interacts with the ECU, perhaps another alternative is underdrive pulleys. But do understand that increasing hp and torque and increasing fuel economy are competing interests. You're probably best off figuring out which one you want the most and be prepared to make some compromises in the other department.

To optimize fuel economy, aside from driving habits, pretty much the only other thing you could do is increase tire pressure (less rolling resistance) or swap to a low-rolling-resistance tire like the hybrids use; reduce weight (lightweight wheels, lighter brake components, A/C removal, lighter weight body panels, remove interior components, lightweight battery, etc.) and reduce drag (remove side mirrors and replace with aerodynamic camera pods, tape off or mold front body seams, add a lightweight cooling fan and seal off most of the front grill area, rain-X windshield and remove wipers). You can see that it can be taken to some radical levels. What results will you see? I dunno. I think the 33 mpg I routinely get is pretty good, but I also know if I didn't drive 70 mph all the time on the freeway I would do a little better.

Whatever you do, good luck with it and keep the board updated on your progress...

Chris
The ECU on the HD is unlike the older ECU's and may cause more issues than it is worth because the ECU in the HD controls/monitors more than the engine and auto trans. Lights, power steering, brakes, SRS system are systems that it monitors and if it sees too much of an *unstock* condition, it will start throwing codes at you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top