Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 2009 5 speed Accent has less than 30,000 miles on her. She was well cared for before I got her and still is.

The problem is, is that when I put it into 5th gear around 55mph to 60mph she's pushing 3200 to 3500 RPMs and I know that isn't normal, at least not for any other vehicle. A 1.6L engine, such a small engine shouldn’t be getting the same mpg as my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. There's not much information available to explain the cause of this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

· Super Moderator
2000 model Hyundai Lantra GLS 2.0 (G4GF) factory 5 speed manual. Fully optioned. Most things work...
148 Posts
I will take a guess and say this is where the 1.6's power band starts. Any lower and the engine will be lugging at freeway speeds.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will take a guess and say this is where the 1.6's power band starts. Any lower and the engine will be lugging at freeway speeds.
Hey thank you so muchbfor the reply. So, at the risk of sounding stupid. What are these "power bands" you are referring to?

Also, what would be the remedy for this issue without having to replace the car? Is there a 5 speed transmission that supersedes the current factory one or do you think maybe an automatic transmission will just be better thats if it can even be switched over?

Thank you again.

· Super Moderator
2000 model Hyundai Lantra GLS 2.0 (G4GF) factory 5 speed manual. Fully optioned. Most things work...
148 Posts
There are certain points in the rpm range of an engine where torque and power are exhibited. Low down rpm is generally torque while 'power' is usually from midrange rpm upwards. Auto trans have their pros and cons - faster acceleration due to not needing to lift your foot off the accelerator pedal, but extra weight and not as good fuel economy. The 1.6 isn't a performance engine by a long shot and you'll see on the forum that Accent/Excel owners are aware of it's limitations (it's an 82kW engine designed for economy)

Question - has anyone plugged a code reader into your car to see if it's throwing any error codes? I have seen a reference to an 'accelerator sensor' in the engine bay that's mounted to a strut tower top...

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The information you have provided is very informative. Yes, I have plugged a code reader into the OBDII but she has never pulled code. I shall attempt to get a video of the vehicle as it's being driven so yourself and others can see what is occurring.

I will look into this "accelerator sensor"

Thank you

· Super Moderator
148 Posts
Thanks. There are a lot of reports of transmission issues with the Accent and some seem to be related to this sensor malfunctioning (both auto and manual) Also - thanks for revisiting the forum (y)The site gets a lot of single use traffic and part of the problem is the lack of responses to threads and posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts