Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai will unveil at the Chicago Auto Show the 2009 Sonata that features an all-new interior, enhanced suspensions and revised powertrains boasting both improved fuel economy and horsepower.
It will be available in three different trims: GLS, SE and Limited.
Sales will begin later this month.
More details can be found here.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
very nice interior and exterior upgrades

very lexus like interior

now if only they fixed the slo-mo Drive by wire throttle and ditch those ugly wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As an '06 Sonata LX owner, what excites me the most about the '09 is the performance upgrades. I've added Eibach Pro-Kit springs to my car, and that has improved handling quite nicely -but I'd still be interested in replacing my s-bars with the '09 SE ones. Also, more power is always good, so I'd like to know if the intake improvement is an easy upgrade (hard parts, new programming only or both). I'd like to see someone "in the know" post all of the '09 performance upgrades with factory part numbers and any necessary info. on making the mods -maybe that will be me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 Sonata available!

I saw a couple available @ my local Hyundai dealer (Coconut Creek Hyundai) I wil check it out tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
09 interior is very nice looking! Do you think a swap with the 09 dash is capable to put in a 06? I like how the the center consule is all the way up to the radio..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably, but would it be worth the time and effort? Might make more sense to pick up a used '09 (SE!) on the cheap after it takes the biggest depreciation hit. I was amazed at how affordable a used '06 was very shortly after they came out... I bought mine new, and kinda wish I had waited and bought used. No doubt Hyundai has been making cars comparable to the industry leaders, but haven't been doing it long enough to improve the resale value. Food for thought,

·
Registered
28 Posts
FASONATA, I understand this to be older post however, was interested in installing new 09 upgrades as well. Hyundai changed to a less restrictive fresh air intake assembly in 09. It was ducted WITHOUT going around battery then entering air box (which is how it was ducted on previous 06 - 08 3.3 V6 models). Curious how Hyundai routed 09 assembly over transmission dipstick (different angled and longer dipstick?). Would appreciate any detailed photos from 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 3.3 V6 showing how transmission tube guide is attached to transmission (located under fresh air inlet on 09 Sonata). I've ordered the 09 transmission dipstick / tube guide assembly however, can't figure how to bolt it in place. Appears 09 tube guide just slips over existing 06 - 08 Sonata tube guide, but not positive. The part numbers needed from 2009 Sonata are the following;
28112-3K210 (lower air cleaner body)
28210-3K210 (air inlet that attaches to grill support)
46571-3A590 (transaxle dipstick guage tube guide)
46580-3A590 (transaxle dipstick guage)
Here are links to photos I came accross showing the difference in fresh air duct assemblies;
2007 Hyundai Sonata SE air assembly
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1290373012
2009 Hyundai Sonata SE air assembly
http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/...20327570_7X.JPG
2009 Hyundai Sonata (3.3 V6) air assembly diagram
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/GSped/2009air_intake_system.jpg?t=1293983746
Again, thanks to all for taking the time and replying. It's appreciated!

P.S.
2009 Hyundai Sonata stabilizer bar diameters (with Sport Suspension)
Front stabilizer bar diameter 27mm - part number 55510-3K100
Rear stabilizer bar diameter 17mm - part number 54810-3K000
(stabilizer bars include new brackets and bushings)
All OEM parts can be ordered from:
Capital Hyundai www.capitalhyundai.com
803-788-6800 (ask for Howard)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey GSpeed,

After I posted, I put a message out the car-talk guy in the Chicago Tribune Transportation section of the Sunday edition (now that section is called Rides). He responded indicating that he contacted Hyundai and was told that it is not possible to retrofit the '09 upgrades to the NF model. So, I never took it any further as far as major changes. I did improve the cold-air intake by removing the hood seal that blocked it from being a direct ram-air arrangement. Even when driving in a major rain storm, I've had no problems with any appreciable amount of water getting into the system, and the engine bay is still protected by another, larger hood seal. I also sealed the rubber seal of the intake opening to the hard plastic part, just using black RTV. I then ground down the small rubber nubs that stick through from the seal into the opening. The latter changes are largely cosmetic, and likely only improved the flow ever so slightly. The main change of pulling that hood seal that blocked the direct air-flow, and I can honestly say she runs noticebly better. I plan to lighten and improve the exhaust flow when the factory stuff goes bad. That should further compliment the intake improvement. I am running a K&N filter btw, in case that wasn't known.

I've also since installed new strut mounts and Koni shocks and struts. These do not show as being available on the Koniusa.com site but are available on their worldwide site. I paid about $650 through Tirerack.com, had to special order, and Koni told them to tell me that there would be no returns and that they could not guarantee the fitment to the US model '06 Sonata. I'm happy to report that fitment was not an issue. However, the aftermarket strut mounts raised the front up back to the stock height (I had lowered it about an inch with Eibach Pro Kit springs). So, when I get my next set of tires or if I have to align the car again before then, I'll drop dime on a factory set of strut mounts and hopefully get that inch back. I can't imagine that the struts are the issue from what we could see in comparing them to the stock struts. What a difference in handling. Definitely stiffer, but not overly so, and really sticks to the road. I have a performance alignment job that isn't the best for the tires, but my car handles much more like a 5-series Bimmer than a Sonata. I can take offramps at crazy speeds, perform fast & steady lane-changes, it's much better than stock. Kinda can't wait for my tires to wear out except for the money it will cost.

Thanks for chiming in and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
28 Posts
FASONATA,
Thanks for your reply and Happy New Year to you as well! Would you any photos available of the removed hood seal that you modified for improved air flow? (I too have installed the K&N panel filter). So the 2009 variable-length intake manifold will not fit previous 3.3 vehicles?
I recently installed the larger front (27mm) and rear (17mm) sway bars, 225/50-17 Bridgestone G019 Grid tires. Looking into installing KYB shocks / struts as well (but may purchase the Koni shocks/struts you've mentioned). Would you have the Koni part numbers available?
Again, thank you for your follow up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, no pics of that hood seal, but you should be able to figure it out. There is a piece that keeps air (and water) from going directly into the opening. It is spaced a couple of inches in front of the opening though so air enters in through the sides. So, from the factory, it's a cold-air intake, yes, but not so much a ram-air intake. The factory system is very good for normal driving. For maximum performance, however, converting it to ram-air is essential.

RE: the '09 intake, and all of the '09 improvements (steering and sway bars too), again, I was told none of those bolt on so I didn't pursue it. Are you saying that you did bolt on the thicker sway bars? If so, I'd be all over that for the front. I think the rear is fine -the 3.3 cars are really nose heavy. In fact, I would buy the 4-banger if I did it all over again. The 3.3 power is nice, but I really don't need it. The 4s handle way better from the factory, and can be tweaked too. Anyway, I'm committed to my 3.3 at this point.

As for the Koni part numbers, here you go: (front) 8041-1357Sport, (rear) 8040-1358Sport. The front are externally adjustable which is nice. I have both on the lightest setting and it's plenty stiff. I'll probably like the fronts better in about 5K more miles after those settle in. Then, I always have the option to crank em up for a track day. The rears are adjustable, but only off the car. Frankly, I can't imagine I'll ever mess with those.

Let me know on the sway bars when you can, thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, no pics of that hood seal, but you should be able to figure it out. There is a piece that keeps air (and water) from going directly into the opening. It is spaced a couple of inches in front of the opening though so air enters in through the sides. So, from the factory, it's a cold-air intake, yes, but not so much a ram-air intake. The factory system is very good for normal driving. For maximum performance, however, converting it to ram-air is essential.

RE: the '09 intake, and all of the '09 improvements (steering and sway bars too), again, I was told none of those bolt on so I didn't pursue it. Are you saying that you did bolt on the thicker sway bars? If so, I'd be all over that for the front. I think the rear is fine -the 3.3 cars are really nose heavy. In fact, I would buy the 4-banger if I did it all over again. The 3.3 power is nice, but I really don't need it. The 4s handle way better from the factory, and can be tweaked too. Anyway, I'm committed to my 3.3 at this point.

As for the Koni part numbers, here you go: (front) 8041-1357Sport, (rear) 8040-1358Sport. The front are externally adjustable which is nice. I have both on the lightest setting and it's plenty stiff. I'll probably like the fronts better in about 5K more miles after those settle in. Then, I always have the option to crank em up for a track day. The rears are adjustable, but only off the car. Frankly, I can't imagine I'll ever mess with those.

Let me know on the sway bars when you can, thanks!
FASONATA,
Thank you for the follow up. Yes, I have the front 27mm (Hyundai part # 54810-3K100) and rear 17mm (Hyundai part # 55510-3K100) sway bars installed from 09 Sonata with sport suspension, installed on 2007 Sonata. Would advise you bring to shop to have bars (especially front) installed. It's difficult maneuvering bar out on jack stands.
I orderd from the following;
Capital Hyundai
Columbia S.C. 29229
www.capitalhyundai.com
803.788.6800 (Howard)
Howard is very helpful and takes the time to compare part numbers from 07 and 09 Sonatas to verify if they were changed or not. If so, he will provide diagram of part to determine if the 09 part can / can't be used on the 2007. Pricing and shipping fees are competitive as well. I had ordered the revised fresh air intake from the 09 however, ran into issue how dipstick / tube guide was attached to transmission in 2009 with 3.3V6. Seems to just slide over existing tube guide in the 2007, but unable to bolt it on as yet. All other parts fit fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FASONATA,
My apologies for not asking in previous post however, just wanted to confirm what you meant by "hood seal". Is the piece you altered attached to the hood (underside) or plastic piece that fresh air inlet duct is fastened to with three clips?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's a small piece that attaches to the hood, and immediately in front of the opening for the intake. It is made of rubber, and is only about as wide as the opening of the intake. I simply removed that piece (and saved it of course). There is also a rubber seal on the intake opening, and that is the part on which I used the black RTV gasket/adhesive to give a positive seal to the plastic (no air can sneak between where the two parts meet) and I ground down the little rubber nubs that protrude into the air opening. Also, and I didn't really mention this detail before, but I also use the RTV like caulk as you look into the intake opening to make a completely smooth transition. This took a couple of applications to fill all the space properly and make it look pretty -looks factory. If you try to smudge in too much of stuff like that, it can run out in places and takes too long to cure. Better to apply a normal size bead, smooth it out with your finger, and make sure you have none run out. Then, go back and do it again in a day or two, and then once more if needed until it looks perfect. AGAIN, all of this work, while easy, probably added a miniscule amount of air and thus power. I just felt like it was the right thing to do. I'm not kidding myself into thinking I added 20HP or anything even close to that -lots of wishful thinkers out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently received items to construct and install custom cold air intake (links to photos at bottom). Started vehicle and let run for a while. No "check engine" light was displayed. Before I could road test and confirm performance etc., owner (significent other), wanted it removed and OEM unit re-installed. So, after all that, the intake is now for sale. List of parts included are listed at bottom after links.

Photos of bracket used to mount ECU (K&N bracket 07093 from kit kit 57-0520)
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1312130920
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1312130414

Photo of Dorman HELP! PCV valve grommet # 42313 and Dorman HELP! PCV elbow # 47032 installed in Airaid UBI tubing
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1312130819

Photo showing inside Airaid tubing, with Dorman HELP! PCV valve grommet and elbow installed (7/8" hole saw provided with Spectre vacuum sensor / adapter kit # 8711 was used to make hole in UBI tubing for PCV grommet and elbow)
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1312130731

Photo showing Airaid UBI intake tubing installed with Spectre filter 8132 (fits 3”, 3.5” and 4” openings with included adapters. 3” opening flows 625 CFM and 3.5” opening flows 1075 CFM)
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1312131013

Photo showing Airaid UBI intake tubing installed with engine cover installed (was close near corner however, cover installed without issue. Hood closed without hitting filter as well)
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1312131387

Parts included are;
1 - Spectre filter 8132
1 - Dorman HELP! PCV valve grommet # 42313
1 - Dorman HELP! PCV elbow # 47032
1 - Spectre vacuum sensor / adapter kit # 8711
1 - Airaid UBI 3" Straight tube
1 - Airaid UBI 3" 30 degree elbow
2 - Airaid silicone reducers (3.5” to 3.0” x 2” length)
1 - Airaid silicone coupler (3” ID x 3” length)
5 - Stainless steele "worm" hose clamps

If interested, $70.00 for all plus shipping.

·
Registered
34 Posts
UPDATE on KONI shocks and struts

First, the good news. The rear shocks by KONI are excellent, and I would highly recommend those to anyone looking to replace or upgrade the factory units in their '06 (or same platform) Sonata.

Now, the bad news. The front struts by KONI are horrible, and I would NOT recommend those to anyone -not even for track use. I believe I had mine installed at about the 45K mile mark, along with adjustable ball-joints and new meat. I now have 97K miles, and have been through 2 sets of ball-joints along with control arms during this most recent service -at which time I removed the KONI struts in favor of new Monroe replacements. What a difference. I still have good handling from the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, but now with a much better ride, as good as or perhaps slightly better than new -and presumably the end of destroying front-end components. There must be a reason that KONI does not offer these struts to the US market. There must be something different about the Euro model. I took a chance and got burned. Lesson learned, and a pricey one at that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FASONATA,
Thank you for posting and submitting the additional details. I'm actually planning on installing KYB Excel-G;
part # 341476 (front strut, 3.3 V6)
part # 349060 (rear shock, 3.3 V6 & 2.4 L4)

·
Registered
28 Posts
FASONATA, I understand this to be older post however, was interested in installing new 09 upgrades as well. Hyundai changed to a less restrictive fresh air intake assembly in 09. It was ducted WITHOUT going around battery then entering air box (which is how it was ducted on previous 06 - 08 3.3 V6 models). Curious how Hyundai routed 09 assembly over transmission dipstick (different angled and longer dipstick?). Would appreciate any detailed photos from 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 3.3 V6 showing how transmission tube guide is attached to transmission (located under fresh air inlet on 09 Sonata). I've ordered the 09 transmission dipstick / tube guide assembly however, can't figure how to bolt it in place. Appears 09 tube guide just slips over existing 06 - 08 Sonata tube guide, but not positive. The part numbers needed from 2009 Sonata are the following;
28112-3K210 (lower air cleaner body)
28210-3K210 (air inlet that attaches to grill support)
46571-3A590 (transaxle dipstick guage tube guide)
46580-3A590 (transaxle dipstick guage)
Here are links to photos I came accross showing the difference in fresh air duct assemblies;
2007 Hyundai Sonata SE air assembly
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/G...pg?t=1290373012
2009 Hyundai Sonata SE air assembly
http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/...20327570_7X.JPG
2009 Hyundai Sonata (3.3 V6) air assembly diagram
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/GSped/2009air_intake_system.jpg?t=1293983746
Again, thanks to all for taking the time and replying. It's appreciated!

P.S.
2009 Hyundai Sonata stabilizer bar diameters (with Sport Suspension)
Front stabilizer bar diameter 27mm - part number 55510-3K100
Rear stabilizer bar diameter 17mm - part number 54810-3K000
(stabilizer bars include new brackets and bushings)
All OEM parts can be ordered from:
Capital Hyundai www.capitalhyundai.com
803-788-6800 (ask for Howard)
Update; Ultra Racing now produces a 20mm rear sway bar;
Hyundai Sonata NF (5th generation) (2004-2010) Rear Anti-roll Bar / Rear Sway Bar / Rear Stabilizer Bar - Ultra Racing Product Catalog

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd say yes, depending on what the price is, mileage as well as features installed. I'm partial to the 3.3 V6 which has nice power and gets good mileage for a V6. I believe 2008 had tree trim levels; GLS, SE and Limited. I believe a manual transmission was also offered this year in addition to the five speed automatic. The Hyundai comes with many features standard (anti-lock breaks, traction control, stability control, front, side curtain airbags to name a few). Only complaint many have, would be ride is a little soft but not bad. I believe the car is well built. V6 has oil cartridge located on top of engine, not underneath car. It makes for much easier oil change (still have to remove plastic manifold cover). BMW, Mercedes, Subaru and Scion FR-S also have top mounted filters. Unsure if this is done for convenience, durability or both. Hyundai 3.3 V6 also has timing chain and not a timing belt as does the Chevrolet Malibu if not mistaken. Chevrolet 3.6 is non-interference engine design and Hyundai is interference design.
As with any purchase, write down features you would like then research and compare the vehicles to one another. what year Chevrolet Malibu were you considering, 2004 - 2008 6th Gen? I'm sure there's additional information about the 2006 - 2010 Hyundai Sonata here as well as here;
http://www.hyundaihouseofpower.com
Home | HyundaiAfterMarketHyundaiAfterMarket
Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
http://www.hyundaiforum.com
Hyundai Forums

Hope this helps with your research and best of luck with your decision and purchase!

·
Registered
19 Posts
UltraRacing My...

I have the UR Rear Sway Bar & Front Strut Bar installed on my 09 GLS. Absolutely incredible difference in the handling! I have the Front SB to install but have not taken the time. It is 30mm compared to the 27mm from an SE. Very happy with just the rear and the improved oversteer. I recommend this upgrade to anyone wishing their Sonata to handle like it should have from the factory. I can't imagine how nice it will be with the Front Bar. Eibachs waiting to be installed also. Damn I'm lazy. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts