Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just quoted $280 to have the spark plugs changed on my wife's 2003 Sonata GLS V6. The 6 plugs are only about $50, but the rest is 2.7 hours of labor, which is what their computer calls for. This does not seem reasonable to me. Are the plugs on this car's engine really hard to reach or something?

I'm no expert, but could I change the plugs myself to save the labor money?

Mark

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well it's been awhile since I've at a 6 cylindered sonata but I would guess the three on the "backside" of the motor are probably hard to get at since it would be pretty close to the firewall. assuming it's front wheel drive (wich it probably is) I guess the real question is....
Are you as good as a trained mechanic? If so then is 2.7 hours of your time worth $280. If you"re not as good as a trained mechanic then I would figure in another 35 minutes of labor.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i'm guessing that those back ones are very difficult to get to, and that you're looking at a few hours of cussing and screaming. maybe someone who owns one on here has a few tips but knowing how FWD v6s go, it's going to be ugly

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
To get to the rear plugs, you must remove the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Front plugs are easy, the rear you have to remove the intake plenum. Replacement of the intake plenum gasket is recommended if it was not quoted. All the 2.7L V6 engines are this way.

-Grimmy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got the plugs changed on Saturday. When I got home I popped the hood and noticed 1 of the 4 bolts that holds the black plastic cover on the engine (the one with Hyundai on it) was missing. I called the place and they manager said he'd check with the mechanic who did the work on Monday (he had already gone home) and call me. I realize the chances of them finding this bolt are slim, so I'm wondering what size bolt that is in case I have to go buy one myself.

Does anyone know what size those 4 bolts are?

Or does anyone know the Hyundai part number if I need to order one from them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well believe it or not, the shop actually found the bolt and my wife stopped in yesterday morning and they installed it. Wonders never cease...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts