Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a Pioneer 760 Watt 2 channel amp that I bridged to run my MTX Thunder 6000 (if these items suck i'm sorry I bought them from a friend) sounds good to me anyway.
I'm looking to add a 4 channel amp to help out my other interior speakers they are boston acoustics NX57 140watt peak (so the box says) they sound good but everyone tells me that adding an amp to speakers is "like night and day" and when I heard them in the store they sounded much better, like a much more full sound. I'm sure that the store has things set up differently then a car would be, but i'm not really sure what i'm looking for.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
886 Posts
They do make a huge difference expecially on those Bostons, you just need a 4 channel amp that is rated for somewhere between 50X4 and 125X4(I would probably go with about 75X4) with a built in crossover(unless you want to buy one seperatly) I would recommend soundstream, U.S. amps, eclipse, alpine, ig you don't care about used stuff there is always some nice older amps like Denon and brands like that on ebay.

Kind of need a price range or the type of music you listen too, and what you really want out of your car as far as sound to narrow it down.

We can talk about wiring too if you need.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I listen to just about anything so something that would cover a wide range of music would be good, a guy at a local audio shop tried to sell me a 2 channel amp, and told me to make the left channel the front and the right channel to be the rear (this seemed very shitty to me) i would like it just to sound more full than it does. like the sub overpowers the highs and the mids. My girlfriend has an altima with the active speaker system thing and it sounds great! thats kinda what i was going for it just sounds really full in her car. So i'm looking for full sound for any kind of music, perhaps later on down the road to get a component set for the front. i was looking at 3 amps http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIOGM6100F http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNA4004T http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLAAPA450

·
Registered
886 Posts
The set-up the shop tried to sell you would work, but it isn't ideal and if you have to buy an amp anyway just get a 4-channel I could explain the reason not to do the 2-channel but it sounds like you are already smart enough to stray away from that. If I had to pick an amp from you list I would say the clarion, but look into some of the brands I gave you earlier they are a lot better amps. Those Bostons are nice speakers so there is no reason your car shouldn't sound better then your girlfriends unless you buy a crappy amp, or install it wrong or something. I will garuntee if that you would be more than happy with any amp off my list.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for the eclipse i found the EA4000 the US amps i'm not too sure there are multiple choices but i found the IS4065, and for the alpine MRP-F240 those are all around the price range that i was looking about 200 bucks, unless you know of somewhere that might have them a little less expensive i'm not sure which one would be best..

[Edited by Danath256 on Dec 23, 2005 10:13 PM]

·
Registered
978 Posts
everyone has their favorite amps, it's not that one is better then the other. While I prefer old school phoenix gold amplifiers, like the ms2125, ms2250, mps 2500 and the awed ms1000 (I have 2 ms1000's. 3 ms2125, 1 ms2250 and 1 mps2500) they might not be right for you. They do not have crossovers, so you would need that, and they are only 2 channel amplifiers.

What I would do it I were in your position would be to do one of the following setups:

Get a 2 channel amplifier for the front, screw the rears, you don't sit in the back when you drive, do you?? Set the stage up correctly and run the rears off the stereo power, the fronts off the new amplifier that you purchase. New amplifiers that I would recommend would be anything from these companies: spend as much as you can afford :)
Phoenix gold Xenon or higher end older amplifiers, zpa, ms, mps, zx, zxti
us amps, I like the sound of the tube's, but that's personal preference
Butler, great amplifiers
milbert, but super expensive class A amplifiers.
The orion HCCA250's put out decent sound at 4 ohms stereo, and later on switch them to your subs for 800+ watts to your sub (your amp is right now only around 300 watts give or take 20 watts)

Stay away from: kenwood regular amplfiiers, pioneer normal amps, planet audio (they are decent, I have them in my car, but they, no, not okay, they pretty much suck, no headroom at all) power acoustik, profile, etc etc. the said above amps to stay away from are fine for subs, profile is a great budget sub amp, but not for highs.

Take a look at memphis audio, they have really put out some decent gear lately.
Eclipse is very decent as well.

I have been drinking, so I will edit in the morning if necessary. have a great night!!

ho ho ho goes santa
who the fvk you calling a ho santa?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel like I know a little, but alot of the technical aspect of all this just confuses me, like I get that I should have a crossover should that be external or built into the amp, to prevent some of the lows from going to the speakers and staying mainly to the sub. RMS is the constant power and MAX is the peak that it would give. but then it comes down to other aspects like wire gauge I'm not sure what it should be to run my sub plus my other amp (whatever I decide to get)I do like my alternator but is the amount of power I'm gonna run need a cap? what frequencys do I want to let my speakers run? anything above 60Hz? I have purchased a couple books on this topic and I feel like I have enough knowledge to get the job done, but I want it to be done correctly. I'm still not sure about the "power efficency" and the "sensitivity" and I don't know what makes any amp better than any other amp, for all I know I could of purchased some crappy speakers. Before I purchased my accent I had an 1988 oldsmobile cutlass cierra, 3.5's in the front and 6X9's in the back i had boston 3.5's with bass blockers and some crappy walmart 6X9's pioneers I think, then i saved up and got some kenwood exelons for the rear and the crappy 6X9's had better bass which made no sense to me and still doesn't. I'm trying to figure this all out so I can be a little more self sufficent but its alot to wrap my head around. anyone can throw some speakers in a car and hook up a head unit, but its saying why it does what it does and how that is the intresting part.
Well if knowledge is power, and ignorance is bliss then I feel as if I fall somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
978 Posts
To be perfectly honest, what you run depends on how far you want to go, and your financial situation.

there are basic rules that somepeople follow, the guidlines that I follow are simple:

1. Is the gain worth the loss. By this I mean everytime you put something in the signal chain, you are going to lose something, either voltage, sound quality or SPL. Does that crossover you are thinking about adding add noise into the system? items like Boss and Power acoustik crossovers are not worth using.

Almost every amp on the market has built in crossovers, both high pass and low pass, with fully adjustable settings. When setting gains, you usually do not want to have the interior speakers set as low as 60Hz. You do have a sub, how high can it play and still blend into your current system. Remember that bass in non-directional, or omnidirectional until 300-400 hz. (people argue over 300 or 400, I go either way). SO maybe 200Hz is a good crossover point. This way you are not wasting energy on having your small speaker produce this big wave, let the sub do it since that's why it's in the car in the first place. (if you had 6.5" speakers that played down to 20 Hz, you would not need subs)

My advice would be to get a middle end amplifier, like anything JL makes, either in 2 or 4 channel (I never liked 4 channel amps). With the two channel, you would just be powering the front speakers off of it. you could try bridging the amplifier, like running both the front and the rears off it it. you lose fader control, but maybe you would like the way it sounds. However, it's better to have the front speakers amplified and keep the rear speakers on the factory or head unit's amplifier.

If you are really going to go get a four channel amplifier, then you might want to consider getting a 2 channel amplifier and a component set for the front (or a high end coaxial like an eclipse point source speaker or the like.) You would be happer both right away and later on when you go to upgrade more. But remember that no matter how good the speaker, They might last 20 years, but after around 2 years of daily driving, they should be replaced. If 900 dollars sounds like alot for a pair of component speakers, and you have the money, stage it down a bit still. Mb quart, go listen to them as well.

It's christmas eve, and I am at work, this sucks butt.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea now that I have my bostons I wish I would of spent more money to get a component setup because I never realized (having dash speakers in my last car) how much sound gets lost just by having your leg there, but then again there was a huge price difference also about 350 bucks, I'm not sure how I feel about the 2 channel amp for just the front's. but i'm also not sure about how I feel about the 4 channel amp either. I was going to do the 4 channel amp to keep everything even or perhaps install my 6X9's in the rear hatch cover thing (not sure if thats a dumb idea or not) its just everyone I talk to or every place I go points me in a different direction. Everone has their own preference so its hard to judge.
But everyone have a happy holiday and thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
197 Posts
screw writing a novel...

adcom *
rane
denon
teac
sansui
genesis
audison
mcintosh
brax
butler
ppi art *
us amps

look for the * on ebay, usually on there at a good price. older equipment, so likly used.. but worth it if its all in good shape.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by Danath256
[body]
Yea now that I have my bostons I wish I would of spent more money to get a component setup because I never realized (having dash speakers in my last car) how much sound gets lost just by having your leg there, but then again there was a huge price difference also about 350 bucks, I'm not sure how I feel about the 2 channel amp for just the front's. but i'm also not sure about how I feel about the 4 channel amp either. I was going to do the 4 channel amp to keep everything even or perhaps install my 6X9's in the rear hatch cover thing (not sure if thats a dumb idea or not) its just everyone I talk to or every place I go points me in a different direction. Everone has their own preference so its hard to judge.
But everyone have a happy holiday and thanks for the advice!
[/body]
50 words or less what do YOU want.. then i'll tell you what to look at. You may have said it before, but to much to read, lost my interest. Give me the to the point version.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An amp to power my bostons something not too expensive, but not crappy. Kind of in the middle I guess

[Edited by Danath256 on Jan 5, 2006 10:21 PM]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts