Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to see what I can do with a stock Pony 1.6L unit, and I have a good candidate: the one with the 4G63 in it now had a mildly tuned (super-aggressive cam, lightened flywheel, and electronic ignition) 1.6L in it.

I'm moving apartments soon, so I found my old exhaust headders from a Plymouth Arrow. I cut the old flange off it, and made an adapter plate.

Today, I went over to James' shop, where him and his cousin welded it up for me: it fits perfect. All I gotta do now is clean it up, reweld it again, clean it up, paint it, and install it.

So that's taken care of.

Tomorrow, I'm headed out west (waaay past hamilton) to grab an intake manifold that will accept a 2GC Rochester carb. I will purchase said Rochester (a rebuilt one for $125, good up to 350 CFM) and port out the manifold, and put it all together on the engine.

So, if I do this right, I could be all done by the end of february, so as to allot time for other, more important projects, such as the G4CS build up.

I will post some pics up as soon as I get some double A's into my camera.

Recap:

-Portmatched IM w/Rochester 2GC
-Electronic ignition (recurved dist) w/blaster II coil
-Headders
-wild cam (unknown specs, but it has a lot of overlap, and 3/8ths inch more lift than the stock one)
-Lightened flywheel (12 pounds)
-Free flowing 2 inch with one muffler, dumps before the axle

This is going to be a sick (quick) buildup... my blue pony will aquire this motor.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

A custom manifold that will accept a 2GC... will be portmatched

1st pass welding

Obviously that needs to be cleaned up

... and painting

It used to have square ports

Im gonna have to clean the welds up, weld again, and clean it up again. Shouldn't take too long now.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine:

It's been sitting for a while so I freshened it up

The lightened flywheel, with one bolt snapped (has been fine for 10,000K)

The manifold, cleaned up

And portmatched! Actually, there wasn't too much to port match, I actually had to portmatch the gaskets after (take a bit off of them) as I over did it a bit.... that just means the head will have to be ported to match :D (which will happen later, not part of this buildup right now)

Compared to the Tiburon IM, there's not a lot of flaws at all, and it's very smooth allready, tolerances seem closer too, I'd say they got lazy as time went on, this is a very nice manifold on the inside... on the outside there's quite a bit of excess material from the cast. I took most of it off just for pretification.

Assembled! Waiting on carb

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things to do: (for myself so I don't forget later, I don't own a PDA)

-Paint crank pulley
-Clean fuel pump
-Clean up the chaincase
-Reinstall waterpump pulley and belt
-Put back the electronic trigger in the Stellar/X1 Excel module space
-Clean the oil pan (so you can see ALL it's redness)
-Change said oil
-Purchase Blaster coil
-Hose clamp for head coolant passage
-Install one way valve for brakemaster into the new IM (from old IM)

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The car:

Bad Ass!! :D

"every once in a while, I feel the sun shine thru"

2004's Pony ressurection? I hope so, Cuz I got 6054 headlamp grills, just like 4 years ago!

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
check out that half primered tiburon! yayuh!

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Jed, if you ever bring your arse down here, bring an extra Pony with you and sell it to me.:p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Jed, its Mike.
Glad to see all my parts finding a good home!
It looks to me, from the email you sent, that the carb you are looking at is the wrong one.
I think what you need is the R3.
They give dimensions for the bottom flange bolt pattern.
If you still aren't sure, bring it out one night, and I'll measure it up for you.
BTW, while you're at it, if you haven't increased compression, or done any headwork, you should.
With that cam, you're going to want more compression, and those heads respond VERY favourably to porting.
The cam, if I recall (I have all the numbers written down) is a crane grind, and 246 duration at .050", and .278 lobe lift.
That would equal ~.473" lift at the valve.
Set intake centerline to 102-106 degrees for best results, the eaelier being the better with your compression.
Heres a pic of my championship car

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hah all I remember was setting the lash adjusters almost all the way to their limit! That's a CRAZY cam!

In addition, when on that site they have the rochester carbs

Rochester

when they say " has the SMALL bolt pattern on the base of 3 and 1/4" X 1 and 7/8"..", is that from the center of the studs, up and across (blue and red respectively, on the diagram)?

I ask because I have a caliper, and also the IM is allready bolted to the head, I don't want to take it off...

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also, I've heard that a cheap (free) way to increase compression on these engines is to simply wrench down on the head bolts...

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kraz! I swear to God I will dominate whatever Bxx project you throw at me!!

4G64 in da house!!!

heh I might even kill you in this archaic 70's 4G16!!! (with a bit of help form Niotrous Oxide!!!)

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2nd pass welding done. Gonna grind it down and ceramic it (after my exams)

After that, bolt in motor, bolt in rochester carb, build exhaust.
:D

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's IN!!

Old engine

The new engine and an Accent GT clutch disk.

No engine!

Old engine with an apparently new clutch disk and pressure plate... it's smaller though (184 mm vs 200 mm on the GT and 1.6L pony motor)

This flywheel is also lighter than the stock 1.6L (I have a lightened unit)

The engine, installed. Now all I need is a rochester carb, and to complete the headder.

:D

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CAARBURATOR!!!

YES!! $220 for a remanufactured unit! LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE!! IT FITS PERFECTLY ON THE MANIFOLD!!

Also, I have to do some playing around with the linkages, but yeah I hope to have it fired up today!

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Carb is in!

GM POWER!!

I had to cut a couple things and make other (GM) things fit a mitsu engine, but it's coming along!

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some things had to cut... namley take off a stock throttle cable plate and screw it into place (after cutting some material off) and making it totally adjustable.

Unfortunately, this method only opens the throttle 3/4 of the way. Obviously that's unacceptable. I will have to do some more work... the throttle plates are 90 degrees off where the stock carb goes.

Here are some other things I had to adjust:

Also, the headders have been re-welded, this is the third (and final) pass. THe carbon tracking is a result of me putting it on with 3 bolts to "tune" the carb.

a pass with a die grinder and some ceramic coating will yeild a superb unit! After that, I'm building the rest of the exhaust.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exhaust work:

The headder (a hooker headder, apparently, I scrubbed all the rust off it and the flange said HOOKER HEADDERS) it's been welded completely and is baking in the oven. Below it is the Flo-Pro muffler

I have adapted a pipe cap for the threads there... the muffler will be ceramic coated and baked soon, as will this:

That's my room mate holding the resonator tube.

Here are some brackets I will have welded to the side of the muffler, and the flange adapter which will be welded directly to the resonator. I will also ceramic coat it.

Here's the modified cap:

Now im off to do more work!!

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

THe worlds SMALLEST air cleaner... so I don't know how im gonna fit emissions parts into it, but it makes for quick adjustments!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts