Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup, in my pursuit to Turbocharge my 2000 Hyundai Elantra, my Automatic Transmission seems 2 b something 2 b concerned about, im not sure if it will b able 2 handle the extra horsepower, n honestly, stick is way more fun 2 drive, but its an expensive conversion. regardless, a friend of mine brought up a very interesting point. the 2.0L G4CP that comes in this car was inspired by the DSM/Mitsubishi 4G63 that comes in the Eagle Talons, Mitsubishi Eclipses and Mitsubishi Evos.

My question is will a Manual transmission from a 4G63 fit onto a G4CP? Do they have the same bolt pattern?

anyone with who has any idea, send some input my way

MUCH THX!! :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, there are a bunch of things that could snag your attempt at a swap.

1: Bell housing pattern.
2: Spline count and splined shaft diameter.
3: length of the axles as per the location of where they input to the transmission.
4: location of the clutch lever.
5: Transmission mounts and their locations.
6: The clutch offset as per the offset of where the bellhousing and transmission face meet.
7: If the starter mounted to the transmission on the powertrain you are taking the engine from, and the other starter mounted to the engine of the powertrain you are getting the transmission from, you get a powertrain with no place to mount a starter!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang, dreams dash against the wall, o well, just gotta find 99-00 elantra manual trans parts @ the junkyard, thats gonna b a tough find.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, thats exactly wat i needed, a straight forward answer, lol. leaves me with:

Option A: throw on a Tranny Cooler, slap on the turbo, n c wat happens

or

Option B: go scavanger huntin 4 all the manual tranny parts, pull some money out my ass 2 buy the parts, n just do the dam thing.

the manual swap is somethin that i kno is well within my skill level, but, any of u all kno anything i should kno thats would make it ezer

·
Registered
134 Posts
With all the work (A LOT) to swap a stick shift into an automatic car, you might want to consider selling your automatic and buy a manual trans car.

This would be a case of choosing one way or the other.

1: easy/sane

or

2: hard/crazy

·
Registered
9 Posts
how many miles or kilometres are on your automatic transmission?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not 2 many, just replaced it bak in March of 2007, the old one had clutches slipping bad on it (gotta love that 100,000 mile warrantee), probably around 10,000 miles or somethin like that

·
Registered
134 Posts
If there are shift kits offered for that trans model, that should help hold up with a stock motor that has had a turbo added, as long as there no weak links designed in it from the factory.

Like the powertrain in the older Ford Taurus was the same one in the Ford Windstar minivan that weighed much more so the trans would survive, or could be upgraded with internal parts from the van trans.

If you are over-boosting and running forged pistons and all that is involved in making HUGE power, a shift kit will not be enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts