Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys, I was hoping to get some advice on gearbox selection. I'm in the middle of doing a conversion on my Lantra, initially I thought I would use the original KM206 gearbox, but its not in the best condition (crunches into 3rd), and also the ratio's probably wouldn't suit the 4G63T.
I want to use a different gearbox, something that would be alot stronger, and be a better combo for the turbo engine.
The 4G63T/Lantra conversion seems to have been done many times over, and I'm hoping some of you guys in the know could help.
I was thinking of putting an A-Spec VR4 gbox (3.545) in it. But I'm not sure if it'll fit, or what else I need in order to make it happen.
Also I would like to convert my hubs (if that makes sense, lol), as I want to put disc brakes on the rear, and bigger ones on the front to make a decent all round brake setup.
I have a J-Spec VR4 front cut from which I can use the brake booster, but again, I'm not sure if it'll work.

Any advice that can be offered would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I know that the tranny from a DSM fits perfectly (FWD) with the 4g63t. There is a guy runing an AWD tranny thats been modified to fit FWD but its not worth it. Your best bet is to use a DSM or turbo colt/mirage FWD tranny. Hubs are probably going to have to be from a turbo CSM as well, brakes too. Or possibly for the brakes same year sonata might work. Not sure about the brake booster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Whiplash89. I'm not very familiar with the american terminology.
DSM - Diamond Star Motors??
CSM - Chrysler " "??
Do you mean one from an Eclipse?
I was hoping I would find something locally actually, so I wouldn't need to pay for shipping etc.
Anyways, here in Oz, turbo colts aren't very easily found. Actually, I don't even know what sort of gearbox they use?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
A DSM is any Talon/Eclipse/Laser that was produced from 1990-1999 with the Laser being produced only from 90-94. The transmission that would work would be from any year car from those listed, but only the Eclipse GS-T, Talon TSi or the Laser Turbo would work with the application you listed. Stay away from the GSX, TSi-AWD and Turbo AWD models because they are the AWD transmissions and are a bitch to modify.

You should be able to find a decent DSM following in Australia. They're popular throughout thw world for their ease of tuning.

Howie~

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

Yeah I was told that an Eclipse GS-T gbox would suit. Do you guys know any places that might have one that I could get shipped over to Oz? Maybe some other forums, I think there is a DSM forum hey, I'll try that.

Thanks again :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts