Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about people that have done this swap and I've been kinda interested in doing it to my '94 elantra. Yesterday I was smoked by a guy that owns a tibby (no idea year/engine) and now I'm alot more interested in doing it. It was just the 3rd or 4th time he's passed me at the same exact spot and yesterday when he tried it I decided I would at least see what my car could do (I knew I'd lose, I just had to find out how badly).
What are the most common parts needed to do a succfull swap? I'm thinking of getting the engine,tranny and suspension upgraded/swaped (If nothing else just the suspension). It'll be awile before I can actually afford to do it but I like to gain as much knowledge about something before doing it. I know a junk yard where I could get a mitsu eclipse (I think its between 91-95, I'll have to recheck this spring if someone thinks it's got useable parts). It's been sitting on sand and when I saw it last no grass had grown to rot anything out. The engine didn't appear to be turbo and it had more then double my current milege on it (180k+ one the eclipse vs 87k me). Are there any parts I could remove from that and put on my car (other then the nice shift knob I already took)? Any suggestions on where to go to get parts?

·
Registered
372 Posts
why not just get a JDM 4g63t on ebay...usually around 1600-2200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-MITSUBISHI-TURBO-EVO-I-COMPLETE-ENGINE-4G63T_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQitemZ8032676328QQrdZ1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooooo somehow i didn't think of ebay. I also kinda wonderd what the 4g63t would come out of. With the link you posted it says it comes with an awd transmission but my car is fwd. Would that present a problem with the swap? I'm pretty sure the current tranny won't hold up to more power. I probly shouldn't be picky with the shipping cost, but FL to VT would be insane.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops that wasn't very clear. Would I be able to remove the transfer case and have it work about the same way it is now or would I have to leave it the way it is and just not hook up the rwd part? Also, would my current (stock) intake+exaust be at least adaquite for this engine? If I did the swap I would plan on also upgrading the intake+exaust but it wouldn't be at the same time as the engine

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi ok if you look at any of the 1.6L , 1.8L ,and the 2.0L they all look the same i know you can go from a 1.8L to a 1.6L (i didn’t know it was a1.8 at the time) but its like all mitsubishi connections so putting in a 2.0L with out a turbo should be the same and change the ecu thats why i think it easier to buy a eclipse , laser , talon I know them have a 2.0L and they say these cars have 2.0L too gallant , sonata , 2000gtx if you buy the car then you have all the parts (ecm, wiring harness, and the part they don’t like to give you when you buy just the engine) I think that’s the cheapest way to do it do some more looking befor you do it

·
Registered
715 Posts
all 4g6x motors are the same from 1.6L-2.4L

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks. I was wondering if there were other engines in the 4g6x line that would work. I probably won't get the particular eclipse I mentioned just because it has almost 200K on it and my current one only has 87K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would go for a old 6-bolt 4g63t from a the 1st generation eclipses (under 1990 AKA back to the future lookign cars) For one they are better made than the later bretherens the 2G's have the 7 bolt motor that has a horrible crankwalk flaw. So get the 6 bolt froma junk yard or somthing for about $100 - $300. Rebuild it with Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons .020 over. and rebuilt head with 1mm oversized valves. Put it all together bam 2.4 liter 6 bolt 4G63T for about 3 grand. Far more superior than some unknown ebay JDM motor (probably a cleaned up junk yard motor). And to let you know, there isnt such a thing as a JDM eclipse. DSM's are domestic cars, go to japan, you wont find one there. They are made in Normal, Illinois. So runt he 6 bolt with like a Big 16G from a Evo at like 22 PSI (taken you have support mods, feul pump, injectors, FPRs, AFC etc.) and you will whoop the hell outta that Tibby. Pull over and give him a picture of the from of you car, cus hell never see it again. ;):

-Numlock666 -1997 Eclipse GSX

[Edited by numlock666 on Feb 8, 2006 11:20 AM]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok that sounds easy enough. My next project: keeping this in running condition untill i get an extra 3 grand :). I've also got a friend that has a semi modded tibby, this particular upgrade probly won't let me beat him but I'd love to see the look on his face after I've kept up with him much better then a stock elantra would. Of course, I wouldn't tell him about this mod...

·
Registered
4 Posts
tibby's..the V6 GT model has what 170+ horses at the crank? thats about 155 ish at the wheel. the 4G63T with a evo 16G would put out a good 250 to 300 ponies easy at the crank. At the wheels is where your problem is, traction. Cus a stock 4g63t puts out 210 at the crank and about 190 to the ground in a DSM, iono about the elantra's weight or drivetrain (guessing lighter than a DSM and probably front wheel drive only hehe my GSX rules) youll easily beat the tibby. Hes probably heavier than you, and even if u get a decent 4g63T stock and running and the stock T25 from the 2g DSM or the 14G from the 1G, youll still beat him. At most i bet your friend has a CAI and a Muffler and headers right? at most thats 7 more horses over stock. Lesson in life, no forced induction = not much real world power. except Nitrous ^_^ another sneaky way of getting more oxygen in ur cylinders. Well post your friends tibby specs

·
Registered
4,351 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Traction is the biggest issue, i would have to agree. 185/65r14 tires are really bad at traction (at least mine seem to be) This my be getting off topic but how wide could i go with the tires? these 185s look about 1 step up from the Model T's wooden wheel...
As for weight, my previous car was an 89 olds cutlass supreme, about the same size as a tibby (not desgined for racing but it would put up a heck of a fight till about 100mph) This elantra has to be at least 2000lbs lighter then the olds. I think he just put a cold air intake on and exaust.
As we are talking about 100+ more horsepower what would I do for a tranny? I doubt the stock one would hold up to the extra power, if it would even bolt to the engine.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
no no no... trust me that guy didnt just do intake and exhaust.... He pulled the 1/4 in 12 something, and pssst was a blow off. That was a 4g63 swap. They are fast, really fast. Im not positive but i think you can use the 4g's tranny. His tires were really really wide on the vid, the track was off, so i guess thats what he used.

Did ya notice the name of the vid is 12 seconds for 2k?

·
Registered
4 Posts
yup 4g63T's are capable of 800+ horses farely easy with money. Ive personally seen what the guy claimed to be a 1150+ horse 6 bolt at the tracks. a Cold air setup ads no more than 11 horses at the wheel under good conditions (humidity, tempurature, altitude, imagine a cold air intake in vegas in 120 degree F tempuratures) not big help eh? But as for tranny, use the DSm tranny, i think they are good up to whatever application, but youll need a ACT 2900 clucth or sumthing. But if you looking to blowing a load of cash, 4800 dollars gets u a custom clutchless dogbox tranny (used in F1 cars) from Magnus motorsports. Read up in the forums at dsmtuners.com to learn a ton about the 4g63t motor. traction is no biggie if ur in a rolling start race, but off a line theres still ways of doin it. there a video of a 12.5 sec eclipse RS (420a motor by chrysler, and FWD) practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the intake/exaust I ment thats what i believe my friend has done to his tibby and yes i saw the name of the file.
As for parts, I would just need what ever is cheap enough to handle the extra power. $3k for the full motor rebuild will be hard enough to make right now, I'd rather not spend $4800 for a clutchless setup and after starting with an automatic, i kind like the clutch work(it's also a plus to slow down faster downhill w/o brakes then other people do with brakes). Hill stops are evil but other then that its good.m As for racing, i think the most likely spots will be random 1/4 miles at diffrent sections of roadways. My budget will be rather tight for the next couple months at least so after i figure out how to get the 4g63t it will mostly be upgrades as i can afford them. Unless of course i win the lotto... then it'll be all at once. :)
That video link doesn't seem to like my dial-up connection or someother setting i've got. Is there a non-imbeded link to it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dogbox trannys are the best. You get the controllabilty of a manual steup (engine braking, faster shifts, harder shifts etc.) but the ease of a automatic. Basicly you have a stick to shift but you dont have to clutch, just jam the stick hard. If youve seen live F1 car races, you hear this loud ka-thunk sound when they shift, sounds like somehting broke, it hink it sounds cool, but thats the tranny shifting. but dont worry about tranny or toher things, get the engine and the 14 or 16G turbo, 2.5 - 3" turbo back exaust with test pipe. and youll be beating him.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
But yeah, is this a drag or track car only??? Cause... driving that thing around the street would be not umm that cool. Snap shifts only work well at WOT or near it. Otherwise you'll be wearing a neck brance all the time. :dead:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would still need to be an everyday driver type of car. I think that the only actual track in my area would let me up to 70-80mph (thunder road in barre,vt). Its less then 1/2 mile oval if you don't know of it.
I wasn't thinking of making this much of a racing car, though that would be fun, I just want to make it into a low-level (not high end-major mod) sleeper. I think I would call it more of a street car, not drag or track. I'd most likely do more toward the track style racing but I doubt it'd be strictly legal. If you think the stock tranny will be okay with the 4g3t engine i'll stop worring about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm hoping to do the swap as well... With all the talk of how great it'll be, there's no specifics on what you need to do it!

The 4G6x blocks are all the same, mount wise, right? So if I get a 4G63t, it'll drop right in where the old Elantra engine left off? How about the transmission? A FWD DSM tranny would be the best choice, I assume... but does it also mount the same way? Or would someone working on a budget be better off just using the Hyundai gearbox at first?

I've read things about firewall modifications... or parts that are bolted to the DSM firewall that we need... It's all be really vague though, so I still have no idea what I'm looking for!

The ECU will obviously be swapped for the turbo box... are there any extra wires to run for this?

How about exhaust setups... will any pre-made system bolt up, or will a custom job be necessary?

Finally, will the luxuries like AC and power steering be functional? Can they be run without custom lines?

I've searched this forum a few times (other forums as well, though this one is by far the best!) and I have yet to find a definititive swap how-to! If I'm missing it, can someone please link me?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts