Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93' excel with the g4dj in it with the 4 speed manual trans. I am wondering if there would be any modification needed to install a 5-speed from a junk excel, or possibly from a tired DSM.

Because my friend used his old 4 speed when he swapped a 4g63 in. It didn't last very long after he installed it, but it makes me wonder if a 5 speed will fit without mods to the the cable linkage or hydraulic system.

the shift linkage inside the vehicle looks like it wants to have a fifth gear, because hyundai in their infinite cost-cutting tactics, probably used the same linkage in 4 and 5 speed excels, elantras, and whatever else.

Any help would be cool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think a KM-200 or something like that fit. I do believe ANY 90-94 Excel 8 or 12v Tranny works, BUT, you do have to change all the linkage. I was going to do it because ****, my top is 70 without that 5th gear, but with a tranny job, **** may cost you MORE than the car is worth...which for our years is $800. As a matter of fact,, it sounds like I am pushing the tranny too hard. Scoupe tranny(non turbo) would fit as well 90-91. Mitsu Precis of the same years are the same too...do not waste your money...buy an Accent ANY with the 1.6 DOHC....you will be fine. I had a Dodge Colt 1.8 4speed, and that think was a MONSTER!!!! I as able to give Mustangs heartattacks for like 1st-3rd gear before their torque kicked in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would a 12v tranny fit, considering the engine in 12v cars is mounted in the opposite direction? Why would my linkage have to change; they look the same on all of the excels, atleast up by the trans. Two cables going to the shift forks, right? I just figured mount them in the right orientation, and it should work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts