Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Damn...that looks like it would be quick as **** on the road...I've been thingking of doing that exact same idea withmy Accent. Alot of ppl think its cheep putting a Mitsubishi motor in a Hyundai but technicly the older 2.0 engine inthe early 90's Hyundais came with those motors in them/ So indirectly you would still be able to run them and say they were Hyundai motors. except I wanna run the GSX tranny. My HP goal with that setup wouldnt be higher than 275-300 whp. Good job !

·
Registered
77 Posts
very impressive. what is your set up?? i've seen the pics on your website but it dont recall it saying much about what you had done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill post mods soon

Main thing on tranny is its a AWD tranny built by John Shep (stage 4) with stage 5 axles, KAAZ LSD and twin disc

Motor is a 4g63 w/ GT42 turbo

Also sponsored by AEM, KAAZ, Turbowax, Vibrant & Nitrous Express

·
Registered
256 Posts
i bet your powerband sucks

but sounds nice when it finally hits boost

·
Registered
43 Posts
i bet your powerband sucks

but sounds nice when it finally hits boost
You have no idea how high he can rev, sure it probably doesnt make 500hp till right at 5k, but if he takes it to 10k that turbo will hold the torque to produce the hp until the 10k. That is 5000 rpms of powerband that is above 500hp. Lets see your pos do that.

Not to mention nos helps spool ALOT!

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
You're both right, actually. However, he doesn't need to rev to 10K and he doesn't really need a powerband. With the proper management system it is possible for launch control and antilag to be used simultaneously in order for 'im to launch in the powerband as well as hold it all the way through the run. The ALS setup for this thing would be incredibly aggressive, but for ten seconds or less it doesn't put that much wear on components; it wouldn't be engaged all the time, only when the computer senses engine speed dropping below the parameter(perhaps .25sec per shift, every run, but it depends on the computer's data sampling rate)

A 700hp VL drag car generally has a 1200-rpm powerband, but still manages to pull 9's using computer systems alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I highly doubt he is hitting 500 WHP @ 5K RPM's. That is s huge turbo for a 2.0. Even if he is using a 100mm crank to stroke it to a 2.3. Ask Al of Dynoflash why he just downgraded his gt42r to a smaller turbo. Hell, Buschur is trying (maybe already has) to hit 9's on a gt35r using pump gas. Last time he ran a 10.02 on pump. There is no need to have a turbo that big. The 1100 WHP monsters of the 4G63 world use a gt42.

·
Registered
256 Posts
any way you would show us your dyno chart to see where and for how long you are making power, nothing against you and the pursuit for big numbers but i look at it as where you are making power and for how long.
prime example is a 1000hp big block and a 1000hp civic
both make the numbers but one you might drive on the street and the other goes from the trailer to the track

·
Registered
43 Posts
any way you would show us your dyno chart to see where and for how long you are making power, nothing against you and the pursuit for big numbers but i look at it as where you are making power and for how long.
prime example is a 1000hp big block and a 1000hp civic
both make the numbers but one you might drive on the street and the other goes from the trailer to the track
There are streetable 1000hp civics IN MY TOWN. Ever heard the term "volumetric efficiency"? Yeah, pushrod domestic v8s are short on it.

There are 1000hp dsms EVERYWHERE

Give imports a chance.

I will say, transporting energy by way of higher revolutions is dangerous as more kinetic energy is transfered in an exponentional manner. This becomes a problem with imports as they have to rev high to make power due to their lack of displacement. This means the parts fatigue faster.

Also, on the other side...torque is dangerous to the drivetrain on launch. Solid rear ends domestics tend to have transport the power to the ground well. This means more damage to the trannys. BUT domestic designs as far as trannies go is superior to import transmissions as far as torque handling capabilities go.

·
Registered
256 Posts
sorry in no way was i trashing imports i love my hyundai and the only V-8 i have ever owned was in my ford truck and my k5 blazer.
also i am not saying that there aren't 1000hp imports out there heck there are 3000hp imports out there at the track but you find a 1000hp car that actually drives up and down the road at least a couple times a month without leaving parts behind and it is probibily a supra or a skyline.
what i am implying is look at a corvette's power graph and look at a 500hp evo or dsm or any other 4cyl that that is using a big turbo to make that power and you will see that even though they both make the same power the corvette will make it longer. and yes i know there are peakey V-8's and tourquey 4cyls but the likely hood isen't there.
and to get to why i said in the first place that i bet his powerband sucked is just listening to the dyno pull how the car diden't make boost for most of the pull and yes i know that he was missing 1st and 2nd gear for the pull but even after he got in 3rd and started with the pull you can hear the car off and on boost and you can hear that it diden't go to no 10,000 rpm.

and i will say it again i am not trashing anybody my hat is off to you for making a powerfull car that i am sure is everything you want it to be i am just saying that i bet you powerband sucked.
happy modding

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did make 554 on pump gas and forgot to say that the turbo was not the right turbo for the set up.

They sent me a full T6 with a 1.15 a/r and started to spool at 5k but for 2009 I did go with a T4 turbing hosuing with a .98 a/r that will make it spool alot faster...oo and race gas too ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts