Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was coming home from the carwash last weekend and slightly ticked off because my car has been acting up. so i thought, what better way to solve my car issues than by beating on it.

so the ride home is mostly a highway ride. i was 3 exits away from mine, doing about 60-65mph when i notice a yellow ford mustang coming up quick in the fast lane. i take notice, wondering if it was a v6 or v8. as it passed i noticed there were 3 people in the car, a younger gentleman driving, female passenger in the front and male passenger in the back. also i noticed it was the v6 model (single exhaust) and most likely an automatic. so for shizzles and gizzles i fall in line behind him as we bypass the little traffic there is. once we are away from traffic, i take my car out of overdrive and at 40% throttle, making sure my beloved HKS SSQV BOV is put to good use as i get next to the car, proceed to rip by him in the middle lane.

i slowed down and having sparked his interest in a race... or disinterest in hyundais he lines up next to me at about 70. we drove side by side for about a minute. then he starts to pull away, so i give 'er some gas and start pulling strong on him. quickly at 85 and two car lengths ahead, i hold this speed letting him catch up. normally in this situation when i see someone flying up on me i would step on it ahead of time, because the laws of acceleration state yada yada, catch up not likely. but i waited until his front bumper was at my back then dip back into the throttle again. to my surprise (and most likely his) i caught him front bumper to front bumper and proceeded to pull him strongly again to 95. right by my exit of course. i believe it was another two carlengths but not sure as i'm not one for highway races at those speeds so i mostly focus on the road and my speedo. i tap my brakes to signal a victory and he proceeds to tear ass by me. i blinker to the slow lane and take the next exit to go home. not a bad race but i haven't had much action in the past few months so anything is fun.

on a side note, my father has a 03 Ranger w/ the 4.0SOHC motor and a 5spd w/ the 4.10 rear-end. he's got catback duals and we believe he's got a chip of some sort (he purchased it from a dealer this way). it doesn't feel like a slug in any sense of the word, but that mustang didn't seem to have anything on his Ranger, to my disappointment. maybe there is that much difference in the automatic. :: shrugs ::

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Not bad. I have a buddy who had one and managed a 15.3 before he wrecked it. I know it got exhaust before the car died but I dont know if that was before or after that time slip. They are not total slugs. That extra weight and the possiblity of his trans not downshifting right could have made your victory so easy. I drove a mustang GT that didn't want to come out of 4th on the highway and was sluggish when it did that. Now.. when it did kick it into third that was something diffrent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bet you those people in the Mustang had no idea an unassuming little Hyundai Accent could whoop their ass like that. That's why I think tuning hyundai's is the bomb, nobody ever pays attention to us, but when we've got something up our sleeves, LOOK OUT!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah, I test drove both a 6 cylinder and an 8 cylinder mustang when looking for a car for the wife to drive. I did not like the 8 cylinder and the 6 was a joke, but it is my wife who would be driving the car (I bought a subaru outback a few years ago for myself as a second car and have yet to drive it, it became her car and the buick became my beater)

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
my friend at work has a 05 stang GT V8. he let me drive it along 301 and rip thru a few gears. i wasnt impressed at all, his infiniti G35 he let me drive hauled ass better than that stang any day.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Nice Kill ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts