Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got a 97 tiburon with 2.0L in it. it has a 5spd manual. 3rd and 4th gear are gone so i need a new transmission. i was wondering if anyone knows if a 96-98 manual 2.0 elantra transmission would be compatible with my 2.0? ive heard some models are interchangeable, but some are not, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Does your question have anything to do with the transmission? Or do you have a 1.8L and you want to use 2L pistons?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
You can bore your 1.8l engine out a bit but that won't make it a 2.0l. The blocks are pretty much the same but the crank, rods, pistons, and cams are different. You can mix and match different parts in certain combinations to increase or decrease compression and the such but boring out the 1.8l will not make it a 2.0l.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
ok first off.. ive worked with the older Beta I engines, the one that you have, and i think i know a bunch about them. SO!!! With that in mind what exactly are you trying to do? Cause you dont want more fuel.. oh no, you car has too much from the factory. You want to lean it out if anything.

So let me know what you want to do, you wanna go fast? Ill tell you how to get dyno proven 25 more WHEEL horsepower for under $500. I have the dyno graphs to prove it lol.

Oh and i would look for another tib tranny, they have better final drives then the elantra ones. 99-00 elantras have pretty good gear ratios to, and those transmissons will work, and they also have better shift linkcages.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes sir! fast is the way i want to go with this..i've driven it long enough stock...all i have done to it so far was cold air and muffler tip...my next step is the headers and high flow cat..along with the supension.....so tell me wats up?? im all ears

·
Registered
56 Posts
^ just hold off on that engine part cowboy. you tweak 1 thing with inexperienced hands and the whole thing will malfunction. start off small like cold air, custom exhaust at a shop. do some research and search my man search to see how others before you have done it.

you can't just bore an engine though. to get an engine bored requires time, effort, mucho money for a shop to take your engine all apart into bits and pieces and rework the insides. i'm sure you already know that, but you definitely cannot bore an engine on your own and expect it to work right. i don't trust myself.

onto the transmission problem. some bright folks know how to rebuild a transmission with their bare hands. i'm not bright enough to tackle that, but if i were you i'd find me a good trusted guy to take the car to and have the transmission swapped with another tiburon.

as for the 2.0L vs. 1.8L, there's no real difference in performance. maybe 3 horses. you could gain 3 horses by buying a fiberglass hood and shaving some weight.

i believe the transmissions are the interchangeable. you might want to confirm that because it's never really come up on the other forums too much. you might want to ask elantraxd.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol i know it takes time for that to happen...i was just lookin to into future ideas...i already have a cold air and the muffler..my next addition i want is to get coilovers, headers and then highflow/custom exhaust...thats how far i got planned so far..oh and to try and get the rear brakes converted to discs and not drums...im in college so my money comes slower then most..but thats all i have in mind for now.....but after that is wat im needing help with cuz i have know idea wat the next step will be.....thats why i joined this forum seems to have alot of guys with alot of experience...but i still don't see many ppl wit 97 elantra tearing the streets apart...lol i hope to be that guy..in bout 3 years... ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
i love 96-99 elantras :) there's one guy who has the craziest one i know of but for good intentions i cannot give you any info.

yeah money is a huge issue. like i said try elantraxd.com.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts