Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
amazing or what? I didn't even know I have to replace it, or I should have a while ago.
I don't have any squealing or anything, so should I wait or have it done? I read from the forums that you can't tell differerce bettween old and a new one. Do yall think the car will actually drive better with the new one? Finally, can it be a DIY with little experience? I wanted to know my car and its parts well and the best way to find out is by doing its own maintenance. Thanks, yall are great!!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Do it now. Even though the service interval is 60K, I wouldn't trust it much past 70K. Your car will run better with a new one.

I would recommend taking it to a dealer... if you're not sure, it's best not to tinker with this one.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Originally posted by accentrider01
[body]
I don't have any squealing or anything,
[/body]
And you wont hear any. The timing belt is a toothed belt, so it wont slip and squeal, it will just snap.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Originally posted by somefreak
[body]
And you wont hear any. The timing belt is a toothed belt, so it wont slip and squeal, it will just snap.
[/body]
Along with the sounds of pistons smacking into valves...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am replacing my belt in a couple weeks. I am going to take pics & try to post here. If your not a good backyard mchanic DONT TRY IT.

If your take it in to dealer or mechanic have them replace the other belts and your hoses too. They need to remove them anyway.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Even if your belt has held out (so far!) the tensioner can seize & destroy the belt any time now.
This happened to me @ 47,500 miles after replacement & it cost me £800 (about U.S.$1,380).

Don`t risk it!
Nick.:cry:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holly *$%#, I had no idea. I thought that there would be some warning. I better go get that done... Jefo any idea as to what other hoses and belts you were refering to?

·
Registered
589 Posts
i am fairly certain he was talking about the aircon/power steering/alt/waterpump belts, you have to remove them and the crank pulley to get the timing cover off to get to the timing belt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just as Somefreak said. Alt & Air conditioner belts and radiator hoses.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I replace the aircon/power steering/alt/waterpump belts? I am bringing it in to the shop today and would like to know if I should replace those belts as well, or if they just have to be moved to get to the belts?
I am going to replace the water pump (thanks SABA), timing belt, spark plugs, and just reading from just reading Jefo's message I will replace all the belts if the price is right, or should I just do it regardless of price? THANKS ALL MY RIDE AND I THANK YOU.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do it regardless. It will save you a ton of money in the future.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright well, mechanic just called, I need a valve cover (leaking), pump gasket, timing belt, other belts (2 v-belts), water pump, spark plugs and wires, and I think thats it for around $560 USD and most parts are Hyundai b/c they don't make many aftermarket. Sound decent or rip off?? I think its descent b/c the dealer quoted me $610

·
Registered
133 Posts
A buddy of mine paid $450 for just the timing belt on his Stratus. They ended up destroying his hole lower half changing it but in the end he only paid $450 for just the belt change. It sounds good to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when they were first installed did they make a low squealing noise? In low gears it is making a low clean whistle like it was supercharged or something. I was told it could be normal for new belts, but its been over a week since installed... any opinions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts