Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 92-95 Elantra weighs a little over 2500lbs, right? So, with some weight reduction, how much lighter can it be made? I've read Lantra's writeup already, and it seems to cover a lot of it... but this may be a little more useful!

I took this from a similar post I made on cb7tuner.com. I tried to remove all the things that don't apply to the Elantra, but if I missed something please let me know!

Please keep all posts on topic. Add suggestions, ask questions to have something further explained, and that's it. No comments like "well that's dumb!" If you don't like it, don't do it!

If anyone can provide an estimated weight savings for anything listed, it would be appreciated! Level 1 items just need the stock weight. Level 2 and 3 should have the weight of the pieces removed AND the weight of the replacement pieces.

The modifications will be classified in 3 levels.
Level 1 will be totally free. Basically just removal of stuff. Very little skill involved.
Level 2 involves purchasing lighter bolt-on parts.
Level 3 involves major modification (welded parts, etc). Anything that makes the car illegal to drive on the street is also in this grouping.

Ok, on with the info! I'll be adding to this as we go.

Level 1:
Back seat removal - ?
Front passenger seat removal - ?
Spare tire removal - ?
Jack removal - ?
Trunk floor removal (board) - ?
Power steering removal - ?lbs
Air conditioning removal (compressor, lines, brackets) - ?
Cruise control removal - ?lbs
Audio system revoval (stock) - front speakers - ?
Door panel removal - rear - ?
Window regulator removal (all but driver's window, you need that to race!) - ?lbs
Carpet removal - ?lbs
Glove box removal - ?
Center console removal - ?
Rear seatbelts - ?
Near-empty fuel tank - 6lbs per gallon
DRIVER weight reduction -
Headliner removal - ?lbs
Soundproofing tar removal - ?lbs
ECU holddown plate - ?lbs
Power antenna and motor - 14lbs
Underbody splashguards - ?lbs
Interior plastic trim - ?lbs
Headliner - ?lbs

Level 2:
Carbon fiber hood - ?lbs
Carbon fiber trunk lid - ?lbs
Carbon fiber front fenders - ?lbs
Lightweight racing seat - ?lbs
Lightweight exhaust system - ?lbs
Lightweight intake system - ?lbs
Lightweight battery - Stock - ? > Odessey pc680 - 11 lbs
Lightweight radiator - ?lbs
Lightweight pulleys - ?lbs
Lightweight flywheel (aside from other performance gains, it DOES weigh less!) - ?Lightweight wheels - ?lbs
Skinny rear wheels... You don't need much back there for a straight line!
Replace front seatbelts with racing harness - ?lbs

Level 3:
Lexan windows (or other lightweight materials) - ?lbs
Carbon fiber doors - ?lbs
Carbon Fiber rear 1/4 panels - ?lbs
Removal of bumper supports - ?lbs
Removal and/or replacement of door supports - ?lbs

The stock 92-95 weighs roughly 2550lbs. What can we get it down to?
There is definitely going to be a difference between those who want a pure drag performer and those who want a lighter daily driver... some things just shouldn't come out unless you drive your car a 1/4 mile at a time!

[Edited by deevergote on Feb 16, 2006 1:47 PM]

[Edited by deevergote on Feb 16, 2006 1:48 PM]

[Edited by deevergote on Feb 16, 2006 1:52 PM]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Light weight wheel would be very variable depending on how much you want to spend and style. So look for rims with 4x114.3mm lug pattern.

The 92-95 generation Elantra is based off of the Mitsubishi Mirage, so perhaps parts with that can be interchangable.

[Edited by ctele02 on Feb 17, 2006 8:37 PM]

·
Registered
274 Posts
How much can you do before it stops being a car, and becomes a carbon fiber shell over a gutted spaceframeesque interior with a motor attached?

Philosophical question only. ^^;

You could possibly replace the stock struts with lighter weight coilovers. nothing too fancy, just has to be light. If feeling adventureous, you might considder replacing other various parts, controll arms, etc, with parts made of a lighter weight alloy of similar strength and poperties.
You missed on getting a lightweight drivers seat. I've seen some that are quite light, but have to be, I believe, custom made to the drivers backside. I could be remembering wrong though.
If you're drag racing only, which seems to be a case, you could get rid of some other things in the back, such as the sway bar.

You could drop some sort of frame/rollcage into it and remove bits of the frame between the parts that are now supported by the frame/cage.

You could replace the tires with thin wall tires. Sure, you'd have to replace em often, but they'd weigh less. Get a alternator custom made that is lighter and produces the same current. or simply remove it and battery power the car for the various runs? (dunno if it's a bad idea or not)

Shave metal/drill holes from all non load bareing portions of the car.

I'm really just throwing out some random ideas, lots of which quite possibly are bad, some of which are adapted from bicycle touring. ^^;

Beware the dark side though... http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0208_scared/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by furochan
[body]
How much can you do before it stops being a car, and becomes a carbon fiber shell over a gutted spaceframeesque interior with a motor attached?

Philosophical question only. ^^;

You could possibly replace the stock struts with lighter weight coilovers. nothing too fancy, just has to be light. If feeling adventureous, you might considder replacing other various parts, controll arms, etc, with parts made of a lighter weight alloy of similar strength and poperties.
You missed on getting a lightweight drivers seat. I've seen some that are quite light, but have to be, I believe, custom made to the drivers backside. I could be remembering wrong though.
If you're drag racing only, which seems to be a case, you could get rid of some other things in the back, such as the sway bar.

You could drop some sort of frame/rollcage into it and remove bits of the frame between the parts that are now supported by the frame/cage.

You could replace the tires with thin wall tires. Sure, you'd have to replace em often, but they'd weigh less. Get a alternator custom made that is lighter and produces the same current. or simply remove it and battery power the car for the various runs? (dunno if it's a bad idea or not)

Shave metal/drill holes from all non load bareing portions of the car.

I'm really just throwing out some random ideas, lots of which quite possibly are bad, some of which are adapted from bicycle touring. ^^;

Beware the dark side though... http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0208_scared/
[/body]
Man, that frame with a motor only ran 14.3! I expect to beat that with my Accord with a full interior this summer! lol

Those are some good ideas. Definitely for Stage 3 of my organization up there!

I considered replacing the rear struts and springs with a lightweight stiff rod... The rear of an FWD car is worthless in drag racing. Though much of this could be used for any form of racing!

(off topic) I also didn't realize the Elantra had 114.3 lug patterns... that's the same as my Accord! I'll need to plan on interchangable rims now 8D

[Edited by deevergote on Feb 19, 2006 7:52 PM]

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ah, but is the offset and overall size the exact same? <.<?

One way to think about it...'is it load bareing? if so, is it replaceable with something lighter, if not, can it be removed' or 'is it vital that it has this permanantly in it?'

Heh. adapted from bike treking. dun want to carry along any more weight than you need to, so lots of times you wind up leaving special tools and hoping you don't need them, or can make do with a non specific one. But a bit beside the point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First you said you expect your accord to beat it, and second i hear a lot of ricers saying all their plans for nos and turbo & all of that, and most seem to think that means it's actually on the car.

And a 14.3 is not that fast.

I would say, having a 4g63t in my dsm (a real drag car), the hyundai would have more potential, after all look at the 10 second mirages and colts.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It depends is the car going to be a street car or track only I think for a street car I thing 2200 is doable. For a track car 1900 is doable without too much fabrication I have stripped one right down. Check this site its a talon but you'll get some ideas to make a nice light weight track only car. http://www.94tsiawd.com/Goodwill1.html

Also a gastank is a way to drop another 20 something pound comparing an empy tank to a small empty fuel cell with a tank of gas thats at least another 100 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts