Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was crusing down the highway after a job interview on friday last week, and all the sudden I lost all my power. No acceleration, nothing. (I don't have power steering, ac, or any of that other fancy stuff, M/T too, so there wasn't much that really gave me an indication) I thought it was a fluke, so I gave it a bit of gas and got no response. Pulled over to the side of the road and the motor was stopped. Tried to start it, and had nothing. Long story short for that night, had to tow it home, with absolutly no luck.

So for the last week now I've been toying with it. It's got spark, the plugs seem to be wet after cranking, the fuel pump's running, timing belts ok, and its sucking air. So. Yea.

Now onto the stuff I've checked out and replaced, since I have an awesome source for used parts.
Swapped: Computer, MAF sensor, cam position sensor, throttle body & postion sensor, fuel rail & 4 injectors, ignition coil, plugs, wires, air temp sensor.

Tested to be good: Good spark, air, fuel, fuel pump pumps, MFI relay, fuel pump relay, fuel rail's moving fuel, injectors are getting voltage (but don't know about proper firing order). Vac lines seem to be good. FPR's good too.

Its trying to start just fine, crankin over like it should. If you let it sit for a few minutes and then really let it have it with the cranking, it'll puff once, sounds more like a backfire than anything. There just doesn't seem to be any life there. It doesn't give the normal symptoms of a car not wanting to start (like my cold-blooded camaro does) it just sounds ... dead. All the obvious things like oil and coolent is all nominal. Its really weird, because it just died on me without any warning. Didn't see anything laying behind me on the highway either. It just doesnt seem like anything broke!

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Perhaps you jumped timing? Try some starter fluid see what happens....

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
fuel filter as well....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did some more checking today, and on a hunch, while swapping the camshaft sensor, I tried wiggling the cam, just to see if it was moving on the other side by the sensor. It was, so I tried to start it again, and lo and behold, the bloody timing belt isn't turning! (Everything else is)

Now, this was one of my first thoughts, but because there was plenty of tension on the belt, I just assumed that it was fine. Now, however, I just have the feeling that the teeth got stripped off on the one spot.

So, now fair readers, my question is...how much of a pain in the ass is it to replace one of these belts? I know I'm gonna have to look at the head and cylinders for damage, as that's a given at this point, but what are you guys's thoughts on the whole thing? Will I be able to do this outside w/o any sort of motor stand, or am I just ****ed?

Thanks a bunch!
-Lead

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You can do the timing belt with the engine in the car, its not TOO bad. We did my timing belt, couple seals and the waterpump all at the same time (waterpump is right there when you do the belt).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are they really all interferance? Shoot.

Well, I didn't succeed in taking off the head the other day due to my lack of the proper allen wrench sockets, so I'll try again tomorrow.

If the valves/pistons got fubar-ed, wouldn't that have made some god-awful noise? The funny thing throughout all of this was just how quiet the 'problem' was. No odd sounds, no bang, no screeches, etc. Just..well, nothing.

Thanks for the tip though!
-Lead

1 - 8 of 8 Posts