Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal. I have a 95 Elantra with a blown motor. What REALLY sucks is that there is only 92,000 ORIGINAL MILES on it!

Apparantly, when it overheated (radiator blew up) it either cracked the heads or head gasket. I had ti towed to a mechanic, they got it started, adn said it is making a HELLACIOUS clunking noise, and the motor is trashed.

Now, here is my delimma:

I had to buy a car to replace it. I didn;t have a choice--replacement motor and labor was WAY too much for me to pay out. My boss told me no car, no job--corporate policy. So, I had to go out and buy a Toyota Corolla. Only car in a 500 mile radius ANYONE would let me finance. (Arizona laws suck eggs)

OK, so now, I'm stuck with a car that I have dumped almost $2000 into with tune ups, water pump, radiators, etc, and don't know what to do with it!

The body is straight on it, although sun faded (came from Vegas) tranny (automatic with overdrive) is good, interior needs a thorough cleaning, but is all intact. I can;t afford to find a new motor for it (unless anyone out there knows wher eto get one REAL cheap) and need to know:

IS THIS CAR WORTH SAVING and TRYING TO REBUILD??? If so, what kind of motor would be a good one to drop in that I don;t have to do a lot of mods to get it in there?? I think I read someone's post of a Mitsubishi motor and it could be a sleeper??
I have a best friend that is a kinda sorta girlfriend that we are talking abotu getting together,a nd she has a 16 year old son that may end up needing a car. Problem is, how much $$$ am I looking at to get this car running? Or woudl I be better off parting it out, or selling it to a junkyard? Or is someone out there interested in buying it off me for a fair price to build themselves? Body is straight, has some good qualities. Just nto sure what to DO with it!

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
492 Posts
4g63 is a direct bolt in, i just did it last week on my 95 elantra, i just used all the electronics from the 1.6 except for the injectors, 2L everything is in and runs great, i want to get the 4g63 ecu in it but i havent had a chance to go to the wreckers lately, use your clutch flywheel mounts cv shafts and electronics and you can get it up and running and i will tell you its fun to drive, noticeable difference even with the 1.6 ecu still in it

·
Registered
492 Posts
just to let you know the 1.6 waterpump and alt belt are different, you will need them from a 4g63, i would recommend a new timing belt too since you are there. 4g63 of course. everything else elantra stuff. if you have the 1.8 same applies, maybe the water pump is the same there. you would have to check the mounting holes to be sure

·
Registered
492 Posts
no prob, just wanted to clear things up since info is all over the place on this

·
Registered
492 Posts
na its my daily driver, turbo would need a few wires added but the na is just bolt in and plug in

·
Registered
492 Posts
no although i have looked on it a couple of times, i was going to post my old 1.6 block for sale because it was in great shape, no oil burning or anything. passed e test with flying colours, almost zeros on the test but i didnt have a place to put the block, and i still have the water pump and timing belt for it, 600km on it what a ****. are you on the boards there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts